No livewell

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Golden, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have a problem.. Going to do a tourney tomorrow night but we don't have a huge livewell for big fish. Any thoughts for a homemade remedy. Some of us don't have 100gl livewells like Tbull lol.

2. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Get a couple of Totes or large coolers. Mesh laundry bags will work as well.

3. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i bought one of the largest tupperware tubs that i could find and stuck a portable areator in it just for BIG FISH............it works great for hauling around larger fish...........unfortunately i dont use mine much except for hauling a few of my buddies fish in it..........because i NEVER catch any BIG FISH !:big_smile:

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    large coolers aren't bad,just keep the water good and aerated,change the water ever so often.
    which tourny?

good luck at it

5. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As long as you close 'em up before you put 'em in the water, right Garrett?
    heh heh heh

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I use a large rubbermaid tub with latching lid ( found at Wally World or Target) and then bought a 39$ Livewell bubbler that is batery opperated and it works fine for me, it will hold over 50 lbs of fish and I just use a couple of 5 gallon buckets to put water in it and then evey hr or so, just take out a 5 gallon bucket worth and then replace with fresher water since the cats will gurge up all sorts of half eaten things.....:eek:oooh: I do not aerate just use the bubblers and it works fine even in hot weather.
    Are you doing the Rising Sun one?? We thought about it but decided to just save our money and fish the same stretch on Sunday morning.

Salmonid ( and Fishdealer04)

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Just catch small fish and you won't have to worry about a big livewell. :smile2:

8. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i bought 2 of the 20 some gallon totes and the 1st one i put a few dozen 1/2 in holes in down to about a foot up from the bottom, then i drilled a few holes through the top and zip tied it on tight and added one of the kids noodles, i cut it in half and zip tied it to both sides of the top, then cut 2 more 1/2 inch holes through the top and ran a spare anchor line in it and cut a hole in the top and made a latch for it, it will float around behind the boat all night with fresh water going in and out, at weigh in time i fill the other one with fresh water add a battery areator and take em in that wayyou will prolly have $20.oo or so in it plus the areator and batteries, when moving locations at night as long as just going slow speeds in the boat it floats fine, if you get too fast it will sink lol, (dont ask how i know this):wink:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If the object is CPR and keeping the fish alive don't put the cart before the horse.
    Get the gear in order before entering a tournament.
    Summer is a bad time of year to be half assed prepared to keep fish alive.
    If the idea is to care for the fishs' well being make every effort to do so.
    Even with a good livewell you are dealing with a stressed fish.

Just my opinion.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Chicken!!! LOL:wink:

11. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    DOWN thats right im saying it me and niko are going to out fish TBULL!!! lol

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree that the safety of the fish is more important than the $ at the scales, atleast to me. But you dont have to spend hundreds of bucks to make it happen. I have a 100gal tank from TSC that I built into the front of my boat underneath the deck. Huge but I never have that thing close to full, and believe it or not my boat actually runs smoother with it in for some reason. The aerator I have is actually from (cant say on open thread pm...lol) and isnt a spray head, sucks the air in through the head and directs the O2 straight into the water, I dont believe in spray heads, but they can work. Also have some strainers and carbon filters built in, but you dont have to go to that extreme. When not fishing tournies it doubles as my bait tank. Get ya someting that will hold a good sized fish, and provide some type of aeration. If you dont have filters and what not built it changing the water every once in a while will help out alot..

13. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    for a removable and relatively (i Say relatively, because fishing is never cheap) cheap live well you can use a truck box....usually poly box but some use aluminum. A good site or person to talk to would probably be Doc Lange....he did this for his boat and he and his wife used them for tournaments. He basically just plumbed in a bilge to circulate, and put in the akwa lung system....if you didnt want to buy the system or even filter it just put in a good aerator with the bilge and if that still doesnt pump enough oxygen use a 12 v bubble box with air stones. To fill, since its removable and not a permanent fixture make or buy an inline bilge, fill it, then flip the unit around and drain it, all over the side of the boat. If you want docs website its hookedoncatfish, he has pictures and instructions on there. Good luck trying to outfish T Bull and Riverking.....you will need it :smile2::wink:

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Aim high my friend!!!!lol There is gonna be some pigs at the scales tommorow night I can feel it....:roll_eyes::big_smile: