no leader

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Jul 4, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know several flathead fishermen who dont use leaders or swivrls..They just let the sinker, usually 4-8 ounce slide down the line to the bait, works for them

How many others fish this way?

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm curious about this myself. I'll be paying close attention to this thread.:wink: Thanks Jack!!:wink:

3. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ill also be watching. Still trying to figure out the best setup for myself.

Thanks Jack

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When fishing in lakes or slow moving water I will often fish this way. I put a bead below my sinker then use a rubber band for the stop knot and snell my hook. This forms an adjustable leader of sorts. The most important thing is no knots to fail. If I don't have rubber bands I will tie a spider hitch which can be found in the library. This method is not good for light line or live spinning shad, or cut bait in current. It is also very hard to break off in really snaggy water.:big_smile:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive done it that way, but, i think infishermen stated why they did this once, but i never realy use that rig, im set on the 3 way rig, but i also use th carolina but, im a little nervouse using a carolina with braid, the weghts will fray my line, i just like the three way better

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jack, if Im fishing a live bait real close to a big logjam or snag of some sort, I dont want to give them any room to be able to move around and get me caught up. Thats usually the only time Ill fish with no leader. Sometimes Ill use a real small SPRO swivel (80 lb. test) and use 8 ft. of 60 lb. big game leader and then let my weight slide right to the hook with a bumber and a couple beads right by my hook. The reason being, IMO the abrasion resistancy of the big game is far superior to that of my power pro main line. If Im gonna hook a big flathead close to a logjam, and there is a chance of him running me in there, Id rather have the big game rubbin the wood than the braid. This little swivel can pass through the eyelets so is not really noticeable. :big_smile:

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ll fish this way whenever I,m in an area that doesn,t have many snags. The only reason I use a short mono leader(4-5inches) is so I can break off easier when I get hung up.I usually go with 80 braid and 60 mono,it,s a big enough bust in the ass breaking that stuff!:angry:

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I fish this way when I'm fishing lively bait in heavy structure and it seems to work good. I rarely fish with a leader longer than 6" because I usually fish during the day directly in the snag. it keeps the bait from wrapping the line up. A bait will struggle no matter how long or short the leader is and when you fish like I do, the bait has to be within 15" or it won't bother anyway.:wink:

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I rig that way 99% of the time- because 99% of the time I'm a J hook flathead fisherman. I think that having to picking up the lead so far from the hook while setting the hook in a Carolina rig is what cause poor hooksets/misses with J hooks. I never fish swift water when flathead fishing, but I would like to see my favorite J hook sold hard wired to a swivel.

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can't ever remember not using a swivel. But i think Netmanjack has a good idea with using the rubberband for a stop. This would only work fishing in slack water tho because the swivel helps with line twist when fishing current.

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    You can use a sinker slide. I can't say if it makes much difference but I use slides exclusively;y with Carolina rigging. If nothing else they allow me to change the amount of weight without re-rigging and I don't need to have a dangling sinker when transporting my stuff. Actually the only time the line really slides through the sinker or slide is when a fish takes the bait. The sinker should be against the swivel during a cast and while it sitting waiting on Mr. Whiskers.
    Here are some examples: I use the third one and install clips in the loop. Cheap to put together and I like the way they work. I've only lost one sinker on a cast and that was when I was overdoing it a bit. The larger, and more expensive would probably be better of heavy weights.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

12. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    I have recently ran out of leaders so i haven't been using them and i've found myself loosing the bait a lot during my casts so i think that i'll be off to the store to get me somemore

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this is another reoson i dont like the carolina rig, i like the three way and im not changing unles im in a boat in logjams

14. bigcat54

bigcat54 New Member

State:
    ohio
    When fishing rivers I use a swivel and a leader. We fishing lakes I use 2 ounce egg sinker and let it slide down to the hook. If you think about it using a swivel and leader that is 3 knots that could fail. On the other rig you only have one knot that could fail. Also flathead catfish are not usually bashful when they hungry. Channels aren't either. They dont care what rig you use. They are going to eat your bait no matter what rig.

Chad

15. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use a zip tie and drill 4 holes in it like the bobber stops and cut to size. That hold my sinker where I want it instead of a swivel. They are cheap to make and you can make them any size you need. I add one full round wrap between the center two holes to make it hold better. It is the only way I have found for a good stop using braid line as you can not use a splitshot. You can pick up a big can of zip ties for about $4.00 and thats a lot of stops for cheap. They are the only thing the holds with braid without slipping. You can drill to the size of line you use. That way you only have the knot at the hook. But you can still adjust them if you need to.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This sounds like a good an economical idea but I can't seem to follow your instructions. Could you break it down with pictures?

17. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i also use a carolina rig and a 50lb leader and if u dont use a net like myself its great to grab onto so u can get ur hand in his mouth, and also the lead being up12 to 18 inches keeps trash off ur bait when fishin the current.

18. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    All you have to do is take a zip tie drill 4 hole in a line the long way along it the size that your line will fit in. Then you cut it off it should look just like the little bobber stops.[​IMG] I make them bigger so they will work as a sinker stop instead. This is what gave me the idea. And they worked for me.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cuda, thats a good Idea:big_smile:

20. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Chad!:0a25: