No lead sinkers, how would this effect your fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Feb 17, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is a thread in the Illini, forum where the state of Illiniose is trying to get a bill past that would ban lead sinkers.

So fellows, if you could no longer use lead for sinkers here in Ohio, how big of an impact would it have on your fishing?

The way I fish would not be anymore, I use 5-8 ounce of weight in most of my spots, and there would be no way to fish them without it/

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Prolly have to snag up every time the game warden came up....

There are other materials than lead, that would have to be developed.... maybe we'd start drilling holes in rocks....

Maybe learn how to drift planer type bobbers through the holes....

Beer can with concrete or sand.... line run through tab.....

Where there is a will there is a way! :smile2:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It was a surprise to hear the State of Illinois was proposing the "no lead" sinkers. I thought, for an assinine notion of this magnitude, it would be the State of California pushing the issue. They pass the other nutty laws. LOL On a sad note though, it sounds like a lot of the California state workers are going to have more time to fish.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, Tungston is coming way down in price, its even heavier then Lead and is heavily used in the Fly Fishing industry for its suprisingly heavy, small diameter and gets around all the "No Lead" signs found on many of North Americas prime trout rivers since they are in pristine areas and folks would like to keep it that way. Look into it, its readily available and once Lead gets banned in more places then just California, the market will dictae the pricing come down even further on it. Now it would never be as cheap as lead is but its a strong frontrunner for replacing lead as is steel, which is almost as heavy and even more readily available then Lead.

Salmonid

5. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That bill is for jigheads and sinkers that are 1 oz or less

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would use nuts and bolts.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, I would imagine the melting point of steel is much higher than lead, making the lead melting pots now in use, useless?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lets hope they dont outlaw lead to quick.

I just checked online, tungston fishing sinkers are selling for 4 bucks an ounce:sad2:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If this law is passed it will affect the pan fisherman more than the cat fisherman. This will stop the use of jigs as we know them today.As previously mentioned it is for 1 oz or less. The cat fisherman that makes his drift weights out of 1/4 oz egg sinkers added together would no longer be allowed to use that set up. This bill is sponsored by a women which has probably only heard one side of the issue.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, tungsten on the bulk market is currently $18-$20 a pound, vs 50 cents for lead. Plus it's going to be different to work with.. I could be wrong, but I think it's typically bound up in epoxy rather than melted. With labor, distribution, and markup, an 8oz'er would definitely be over $20.

Steel, ceramics, and cement would probably be our options. I'd probably try to use sections of rebar.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well being as I have a lifetime supply of lead sinkers and much, much, more to be melted and poured yet. I would probably dip my lead sinkers in some other type of materials to camoflauge them from looking like lead. If I saw the man walking up to me.....I would just accidentally bump into my line with a lit cigarette and say ooooppppssss. Sorry!:wink:

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had this argument with a friend the other day. I ordered I think 25 1oz egg sinkers for $5.95 I think. He told me how I should spend a couple more bucks to "save the fish:cool2:". So I went to bass pro shop and they were selling 1 oz tungsten weights in 2 packs for $12.95. I don't think 25X as expensive is a few more bucks!

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    even if lead sinkers were banned you could find something else to use. one of my uncles used to use old sparkplugs, looked goofy as hell but they worked and were comparable to the weight of lead. in some of my "high snag" areas (concrete/rock) i am going to be experimenting this summer with Rocks tied in a small cloth or something like a spawn sac on my 3-way rigs (lose almost every sinker i cast in these spots). at some point i will attempt to make sinkers from concrete. i read where this law only pertains to 1 ounce or smaller lead jigheads. once that is in place its only a matter of time until ALL lead would be banned. :confused2:

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    California is late out of the gate on this one! lol. New Hampshire, Maine,New York and Minnesota all have bans of specific lead weights. Great Britain as far back as 1987. Canada has restrictions too. I'm going to experiment with concrete and rocks. Spark plugs will have a place too. Then again Gary's re bar has definite possibilities, different lengths and a drill press and your in business! You know it's funny, but I always hate loosing a good looking sinker, I don't think I would mind the rusty re bar. :smile2:

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would just float fish on the lakes all the time, and quit fishing rivers all together....Might even take up juggin!:crazy: :wink: rollo

16. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    That should get the bass clubs fired up for sure. Power in numbers can make a difference. But really affects all fishermen.

Got a feeling this will die a slow death and never make it to a vote. An awful lot of fishermen in Il.

17. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I remember using bolts & nuts as a kid. I wouldn't mind going back to it!:wink:

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Is it possible that lead would be allowed if coated with something to contain it inside a water tight capsule?????:wink:

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Aint tryin to hijack a thread,But ..... I have an electric drill and a masonry bit,And I know how to use them,if pressed :smile2: I remember my granddad using old sparkplugs when he was pressed.

20. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I also remember sassafass poles & string made good cane poles.:wink: