no hookups on runs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 17, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i went back to my old hole to fish, i freespooled with gills,now heres the thing,wen my clicker goes off anywere else fish on right, well, once again my clicker would scream id pick it up and id just feel nothing, or a slight tugg, so i swiched to a circal my poll bent down no hookup, are theese gar. i mean the gills were not torn up, whats the reason behind this how can i hook whatever they are , this happend 2 years ago in the place

2. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Do you have enough of the tip of the hook exposed?How are you hooking the bait?

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well last night on my trip i had the same trouble.. i imagine its a gar, turtle, or a baby cat. Most likely baby cats are in the area cause of the spawn and are wantin the bait.:cool2:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Some of those are probably gars, and some, just short biting cats. We've had more than our share of this type hit lately.

Bill in SC

5. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    :crazy::crazy: GAR!!!!!!!!! :crazy::crazy:.........RAT

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol im not new to flatheads , but gare dont run fast theese are slamming my clicker out like channels ,hook is exposed ,i did have one on and it felt small but the hook curled into the bait, im going to try circal hooks if they hit hard they will hookup if there over 5 pounds, i know one was a gar, but most hit like a jet,ps no blues here its channels or flatheads or something else

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    What I do is drop to a small hook and bait to see what is doing it ; )

It usually drives me nuts and , I have to see what it is, normally its turtles or the channels. A gar you will know, it usually takes you side-ways or put big marks on the bait....thats my theory at least.

Been happening a lot to me too.

-Jim-

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, ill find out, circal hooks will hookup on somthing that slams down, screw clikers

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try a two hook rig and see if you get more hookups. Sometimes if they are short biting the second hook will get em.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i doght theese are flatheads, i think they are channels that are running with my gill in the current

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Another thing that comes to mind is the fact that you are running your clicker. It is of my opinion that the best way for optimum hookup is by tight lining with circle hooks, snelled properly. Like Jimmy Jonny said, the gars usually run sideways, and I'll add, that they often tangle several lines up. Just MHO.

Bill in SC

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've gotten plenty of these hits in the past week.
    I've managed to get a few hooked, but always spit the hook when the pretty close to the bank. It's more than likely gar doing it.

I'll be going out tonight with some double hook rigs on the big bait. And smaller baits to see what takes it.

/ James

13. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    ( or try a 3/0 circle hook )

LOL
    -Jim-

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes this is what happining they spit it, but gar usaly dont make a clicker sing,and yes they are going sideways but my bluegill is not torn up so, i think its gar and smaller cats what else,if it was a big fla it would take it

15. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i cant get to it, but im going to downsize and use circal hooks if that dont do it their small channels ,so ill try the circal hooks and ill post back on how i do

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A gar will often take a blue gill and run with it, NOT leaving a mark on the gill. If they are running sideways, you can bet you last dollar that it's a gar. If you want to have some fun, get one of those hookless gar baits and a gar jack. Let the fun begin. If you don't know what I'm referring to, Google "hookless gar bait" and "gar jack".

Bill in SC

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea they all went sideways, but im going to find out tommaro,if there gar

19. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If they're making screaming runs, I'd say small flats or channels. I wouldn't know anything about gar, but every time we hook up on a screamin run it's a cat under 6 pounds. And if you're not hooking up, i'd encourage you to try using that clicker with some circles. Let em run for a while then close the spool, they'll keep running and slam right into that circle and hook itself. I'd say i have a 99% hook up doing that with 8/0 circles. Lets the cat take the whole bait in, including my hook, which is often barely hooked into the bait. A lot of times they'll just grab half the bait and run, so i like to let em get situated and eat the whole dang bait, then let em have it. Hope you find out what's tormenting you, gotta have some closure haha

20. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Never hooked a gar with clickers, but I rarely use the clickers. Caught several gar anchored in the river and at first they usually hit hard and then nothing, or if they're hooked they keep running with it, usually sideways, but sometimes up river. At first it can be very similar to a catfish until he starts running. The first gar I ever caught picked up my bait and ran up river. I didn't now what was going on, I just noticed I had a bunch of slack line and then when I pulled it tight he started fighting.

Actually caught a couple gar drifting a week ago. At first they hit like catfish, but then they ran towards the boat until right at the boat and then went sideways.