No fool like an old fool

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, May 15, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    I have thought about this for several days, and tho I doubt how much interest it will garner, nor if it really matters to you folks, if it happened to one of you I would want to know. So, on the basis of that reasoning, I will detail the incident that illuminates my lack of intelligence.

Last wednesday i was changing out tires on a couple of pickups. i tried to use an old pneumatic bumper jack that had been sitting in the corner for several years. it only went up about halfway, and then stuck. we went ahead and changed the tires, then, like the moron i can be from time to time, i aired the jack up. without a load, it still only went up halfway. now this is a heavy duty jack that can lift 3+ tons. pay attention to what i did next:crazy: ...i flopped one leg over the bumper arm, and went to jerking on the jack to free it up........oh yeah, i freed it up:waaaht:
    that puppy came loose like a cannon, and sounded like one - tossed me head over heels.:after_boom:

i have lacerations on my right bicep, stomach, left foot, and a severe gouge on the back of my left thigh.:beat_shot: :beat_brick:

i decided they weren't too bad, and have been having the wife dress the thigh wound for the last 5 days. the rest of the abrasions were mostly shallow cuts and deep bruises, and are well on the way to healing.

my wife had never dealt with a wound like this, so she took my word for how to tend to it after i declined to go to the doctor. now since i couldn't see it, you can see how intelligent that decision was on my part:beated:

keep up now.....i am a slow learner ain't i? first blow the jack up with me astride, then reject medical attention:misdoubt:

well, today i decided to go to the AM/PM clinic here in town, as the pain has increased greatly in the last 2 days. the doc there about lost his lunch when he looked at it. he said, and i quote "it is bad, bad, bad. that is going to need surgery - maybe not today, but soon.that is a serious wound that has deep infection." he did nothing but bandage it back up and made an appointment with a surgeon at the hospital for me. he didn't charge me, as he felt that they were going to get my money in surgery ( not being an illegal, nor having insurance, means i have to pay out of my pocket, which was part of the reluctance to go in the first place).

on the way to my appointment, i called mom and relayed the recent events to her, and the dismay i felt at being so stupid. she said "ask God to touch your leg and tell Him you will try not to be so stupid in the future".

as i sat in the waiting room, i thought about what mom had said. i bowed my head and said "Good Lord, if you will touch my leg i will really try not to be so stupid in the future."

when i went in to see the doc, he took the dressing off of it and said "good grief!".....he then said, "it doesn't look too bad. i am going to cut away some of the tissue and clean it up".......................he did that, gave me instructions for dressing it for a week, then i have to go back.

let me tell my BOC family something, if they didn't already know: God still answers prayers, and He still takes care of stupid people like me. something happened to that wound between the visit to the first doc and the second one whether anyone wants to believe it or not. the first doc, who is an emergency room doc, was aghast at the wound - the second, after looking at it, was much less concerned.

so, tho i will be off for a couple of weeks, i am in pretty good shape.

Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me.

2. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Being stupid hurts, I know from experience. I hate that you got hurt, but that's a great story. I hope you feel better, and keep praying.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Sorry you got hurt , it would have made a great video .

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    hey thanks for your compassion, Dale....your post is just oozing sympathy
    :cry: :that_hurt:

LOL

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I Too, am sorry you got hurt, the other day a coworker told me not to stick my finger under a manhole lid we were raising. knowing he ment well, I did and now I am missing the very tip of my finger. (mostly just some skin) so DON'T feel lonely about doin stupid stuff!
    of course it was my parents fault because I wasn't raised with all the things I wanted, I was tramatized durin my young life:embarassed:

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Phil brother I can tell from your story that was must be kin of some kind. I fell for you and if you need anything let me know and I will do what I can.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

lol Lionel!
    i went to the doc the other day and i said "doc, it hurts when i do this"....doc said "don't do that":lol:

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Stupidity is a sign of a genius at an earlier stage.:wink:

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Phil......I don't know what to say. Oh yes I do now that you have two weeks off do you think you can take me wells catfishing with you now. Oh yea glad you lived.:that_hurt:

10. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I'm glad yall understand how I was mistreated as a youth and how it effected me. once I asked my dad for a newfangled countin machine (calculator) they had just come out with. it would add, subtract and multiply and devide. for the measly little amount of about $70.00
    He was so mean he said NO, some day threy'll get cheaper!
    wELL you can just look and see what trama that caused!!!

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Johnny, i am 50...i think we can dismiss the genuis part...it ain't gonna happen. i am not algernon either:embarassed:

i would love to go wels fishing with you rip - think we can get Paul to fund it as a BOC fact-finding trip:big_smile:

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Geez if I wrote everything I did that was dumb in one way or another on here, my fingers would just be bloody stubs, and there wouldn't be any more room in the BOC, I would use all the space and still not be finished...lmbo

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    If he reads your sad story it may just work, and I'll have to go to help you seeing how your wounded and not so brite.

14. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    The only bad thing that could happen would be a flat tire and Phil useing that jack of his.LOL

15. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Phil, I hope you'll soon be feeling better!

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey John, You'll be ok as long as you wear lots of armor and a kevlar helmet!

Just don't let him knock you out of the boat, you may sink to the bottom.:crazy:

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho

Ohhhh, you read that Phil, you ARE a genius. LOL

18. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Phil,
    Sorry to hear about your accident. We all do stupid things from time to time and we always learn from them. I hope you heal fast.

19. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear that the injuries aren't as severe as first thought. And yes, we all do stupid things. Mine just happen with broadheads, not once, but twice. Right pursuing cats?

20. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    John my intelligence is equal to Phil's mechanical ability I really don't see why you are worried.