No Fall Bite????

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by pendog66, Oct 2, 2009.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I am alittle worried with the weather lately, the water temps here went from 25 degrees celsius to 15 in a week. My boss at DNR also fears that there will be no fall bite because of a mild summer and cold fall. Apparently the lakes have already turned over and thats not good:sad2:

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a feeling this will not be the best flathead fall. This has not been a very hot summer anyway and there weather has been weird the whole year. I would not be surprised if the spawn started early this year unless we get some odd warm periods soon. I wonder how this will effect the blues and channels. I could see a quick cold fall being bad for flats but getting the blues in gear quicker.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've seen more flatheads last week than I've seen all year.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was more talking about if they will still be biting in November or not.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That I doubt.
    I read in a report from the other day that water temperatures were already down into the mid 60s. I'll be suprised if anyone gets a Halloween flathead.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    where i was fishing at last night i tested the water at 59.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, a couple more degrees and the flatheads will be off for the season.
    Read that one the study posted in Flathead Discussion anyways, they turn off big time at 55 degrees. This weekend would be the best time to get into them I'd imagine. :wink:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A bad year weather wise continues, if we dont have an indian summer the fall flathead bite will be over before it starts.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was out for a couple hrs today, and it seemed like mid november...No bait fish activity on the water, and although I am bank fishing and dont have a way of telling water temps. the water felt extremly cool for the first of October....What a frustrating year, I have had a horrible summer, and have been eagerly awaiting the fall bite, and now we might not have one.

I think what has hurt us is the water temps have dropped so fast, not a gradual drop like you usually get in the fall.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  10. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I was on the Scioto last Sunday north of Columubus and I was getting a reading in the low 60's.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH

i went out for 2 hours today and no bites. The barometer was low at 29.62 so i wasnt expectiong anything. also the wind was a pain