No boat, no Potomac River love?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Pinky, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Pinky

Pinky New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey every one! brand spanking new member. I have been digging around in the archived threads trying to find an answer to this.... for someone with no boat what are the best options for larger cats from shore of the Potomac? Now im not asking for you to give away your long time family secret spot! Im from the Va side near Great Fall national park and River Bend park. I have not been able to locate cats over 15lbs(i know it could be my fault!)
    Bottom line is I need some love.......and it seems there is a heck of a group of good people here. Proud to have joined the BOC, and I look forward to seeing you all out there!

2. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Fish from the bank at Fort Washington. You can reach some prime water from there.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    As Bob said Fort Washington on the maryland side both sides of the light house> I would also try Jones point a nice 30' hole there as well. Also lots of spot along the DC shore from chain bidge down to the Key bridge. The island right below key bridge on the main channel side can be great as well. Your key will be Cut Fresh Bait shad ,herring and perch hope this helps out

4. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Those two posts before speak good wisdom. As Tim said cut bait is the way to go. You can buy fresh white perch and also croaker from Annapolis Seafood in Waldorf, Maryland. But, anywhere you can buy fresh fish (guts still in it) look for white perch, croaker, even to a lesser extent bluefish. Off the point of Fort Washington (right by the lighthouse) the channel gets 80+ feet deep. Cast around there and you may get something good. Same thing with the shore to the south of the lighthouse. As long as you can get the cast out a decent distance (30 - 50 yds) you stand a decent chance of hooking into a 30+lb blue cat.

Post six times and then you can go through and look at the pictures. Set the history on the thread back one year. You can do that once you get into the Maryland River section. It's down on the left hand side, below all the chat topics. Then look at the pictures that are posted on there. A lot of the blue cats on those pictures were caught around Fort Washington.

By the way shipmate, WELCOME to the BOC!!!!!! Good to have you here.

5. Pinky

Pinky New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Outstanding information! thank you so much for the new guy love! now im very excited for the upcoming weekend! although the weather does not look all that great.... i would think it would be worth going anyway, right?

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I just came off the water at 5pm and the bite stopped at 3. With all the stuff that is coming it maybe Sunday or Monday before we see a good bite again. The cold front will stop the bite as it did today and with all the stuff that will be coming down river with the inch or so of rian before the snow. I would look for them to be off maybe till mid week.