No blue catfish, but not blue

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    The Ohio River was a cold place to be today! 17 degrees and the wind was howling, so we went fishing cause we aren't too smart. Wanted to put Travis and Chris's info to the test and went with those intentions foremost in my mind.
    Set up on the first current break where the water dropped twelve feet in a hurry with high expectations. After about thirty minutes we had to make our first decision of the day, do we set out in the middle of the river and die of hypothermia or perhaps a violent case of sea sickness or move to the edge and try to find some kind of shelter from the wind and three foot waves. Being kind of feeble and faint of heart we chose to move in behind the barges and fish the logjams secluded from the elements. It made all the difference we were warm and cozy for the rest of the day. NOT... Boys I don't mind tellin you it was cold, everytime we moved we broke ice off our poles and ourselves for that matter. We looked like the dead guy in Jerimiah Johnson, even thought we might break something off if we moved it too much. Taking a leak ,sucked..
    We did manage to catch 9 channel cats and get some pretty nice shad for the freezer. In truth it was a entirely enjoyable day and the cold was bareable . The channels ranged from 12 pounds 4 ounces to six pounds with most being on the upper end of the scale. Our only problem was getting my two wheeled truck up the muddy ramp when we got out, a two hour ordeal that left about all the rubber on my old tires laying on the ramp.. Good thing it was time for new tires anyway.. 101_4316.jpg

101_4319.jpg

101_4320.jpg

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great looking fish brother!! When we talked on the phone, I figured all your fish were blues, great looking channel cats. I can sure see the ice on the boat in a couple of those pics........................... must have been really cold. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon and you guys will be a little more comfortable

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    congrats on the cats willie, looks like you guys had a good time,

4. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Willie, Thanks for the report! Nice looking cats, looks too cold for me LOL! Take-Care, Tim

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would have switched places with you anyday!
    I had to go to a kid's birthday party:embarassed:
    Nice winter cat!

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Way to go bro those are some nice looking fish, wish I could have been out there. I am going to lose my mind very shortley...:eek:oooh:

7. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Looks like you fella's had a good day after all. Congrats on the fine channel cats you guys caught. Hoping to get out on the water real soon.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great report bro.. Thanks for sharing....rollo

10. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Those are some nice channels.......RAT

11. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Lol....the elusive blue cat!:sad2: Nice channel though! At least your getting out brother.....aint seen the water in months!

12. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have to tell you brothers this is the first winter I've dedicated to fishing. I don't miss that let down I usually have after deer season goes out so I think I'm hooked.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Unfortunatley you started on a bad year, this entire winter has sucked. Last year we probably caught well over 100 blue cats, just a bad year for sure.:sad2:

14. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Last winter I caught zero fish same as the year before that and the winter before that, I'd say I started on a great year.. This being a bad year for you probably means my winter will be great next year..

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Your definatley on the right track man, I have a feeling next year will be a very "blue" winter for you.:smile2: