No big salt herring around Marion right now...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wild bill jp, Apr 3, 2008.

1. wild bill jp

wild bill jp New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I admit to writing this post in order to get closer to having the required 10 post total needed to have access to pics and PMs.... but the report is true...and I hope useful to some of you.
    Unless things have changed since yesterday, there are no bait shops around Marion with the big sea herring or I have heard them called salt herring. All we could get were the small bluefin baits. We were lucky enough to get the last of two big herring and that's what we caught 4 of our 6 fish on. The bluefin didn't get it done for us. Later, James

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    James, welcome to the BOC, and I hope you get your ten posts quickly.
    My thoughts on the matter: The salt herring are caught during their spawning runs and when the run tapers off, so does the bait. It's a seasonal thing. There are still herring entering the lakes, but due to low water levels this year, and other issues for the commercial guys, the supply is a little limited, at least from what I've seen. The smaller bluebacks will still catch them as soon as the spawning run up the lakes ends later this month. Threadfin shad is also a good choice right now, cut your bait to make them bleed when fished whole, and a lot of people even put two or more on each hook right now.

3. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Have any of you fellas heard that this would be the last year the commercial guys could catch and sell the ocean herring? I have "heard" this.I do know they stopped folks from catching and selling them in NC waters,except for a small quoto for some herring festival and research.They say the stocks are very low.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc you can hit on new post at the top and post and you will get to 10 quick

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    welcome to the BOC James

6. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    James, welcome to the BOC.

7. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    I spoke with my bait man where I get my bait when I fish santee; he says that the big river herring are done spawning and headed back to the ocean. Catching a few baits but not enough to bank on. I was told to bring my go to baits with me when I come next week, just to be on the safe side. Blue backs are plentiful in the lakes he said( near the power house) I hate there wont be any big herring, cause we always do excellent with them.

8. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Oh yeah, welcome to the BOC James. Give the newbies a welcome so you can get your 10 posts quickly:wink::wink:

9. wild bill jp

wild bill jp New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    CRCLHUK1, that's a good idea.....Thanks, I'll do that....