Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after consistantly catching fish exceeding the 30 and 40lb mark every trip out I thought I was sure to join the 50lb club in no time at all! However, I have been somewhat frustrated on my last three fishing trips in which I only landed one fish over 20 lbs! The water temps on the Potomac are still right around 66 degrees which I thought indicated that the fish were not yet spawning? However, it looks as if the big boys have proved science wrong and took some time off for spawning.

I will use this down time to do some service on my boat and prepare for the post spawn bite. It is killing me having to wait!

How many of you guys fish in the summer and when do you start back up?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spawn is only a couple weeks right? So how long does the bite take to return?
True, the spawn is only a few weeks.........But not all the fish begin spawning at the same time. So although it is a few weeks, I believe it is alot longer before the bite is back to near 100%

·
Registered
148 Posts
True, the spawn is only a few weeks.........But not all the fish begin spawning at the same time. So although it is a few weeks, I believe it is alot longer before the bite is back to near 100%

If it works the same as the Herring then the fishing should pick up on the James about the time the spawn is in on the patomac. There seems to be about a 4 or 5 weeks differance between the two rivers. Will have to wait about three more weeks and try the James again.Three weeks off for boat repair and house work.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it works the same as the Herring then the fishing should pick up on the James about the time the spawn is in on the patomac. There seems to be about a 4 or 5 weeks differance between the two rivers. Will have to wait about three more weeks and try the James again.Three weeks off for boat repair and house work.
I know what u mean doug....I got a thousand things that I need to get done around here, plus I have to order a new prop for my boat! Maybe I will have to convert the SEADOO SPEEDSTER as my secondary back-up catfish machine. lol

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Larry and Doug keep at it, like you guys said they dont all spawn at the same time, they gotta bite sooner or later. After that tourney the next day I caught freakin 20 fish from 2-20+LBs all on bluegill and this past friday night me and my buddy Jason got 17 all on shad minus 2. Patience patience patience. Take a mag to read or a book, maybe while you're sittin there a monster will bite. I know the spawn is ruff but I aint givin up I'm still searchin for the 80LB club, screw the 70LB. I may fish all this holiday weekend unless I go to my Dad's house. I just feel there's fish out there willing to bite we just gotta find them. My 20 fish day and 17 fish day were both new spots. My reliable spots have been crap since the winter. So I guess we gotta find reliable summer spots, I think I will try the spots that got me fish from the bank all last summer. Good luck out there and tight lines

·
Registered
452 Posts
The bite should pick up by August at night for night fishing and then full on by Thanksgiving. That's how I notice it. At least from posts on the board. The James gets really really warm in the summer and is full of crabs that take the bait...just my observations.

·
Banned
471 Posts
hey larry,about the 2nd week in june the bite should pick back up,from what i could tell, the spawn is early.were headed down next week,a little heads up on the way to fish the potomac is fish the edge of the channels and the edge of big mud flats.blues after they spawn run them just like a highway

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I agree. I believe the spawn was early here at Kerr to. All my big cats were caught March and early April. It was like the big flatheads ran the river spawned and gone. Now the bite is almost non exsistant. Any day it should be back on so keep on castin.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I swear, you guys complain WAY to much. Seems like every other thread is somebody complaining about how they didn't get a 40+lb fish, only caught a bunch of dink 20lbers, ect.

If I took a break from catfishing every time I went 3 trips without a 40+ I'd pretty much never fish. Ya'll are very lucky to have the quality fishing that you have and shouldn't get so discouraged when you're "only catching 20lbers". If we could only be so lucky LOL!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I swear, you guys complain WAY to much. Seems like every other thread is somebody complaining about how they didn't get a 40+lb fish, only caught a bunch of dink 20lbers, ect.

If I took a break from catfishing every time I went 3 trips without a 40+ I'd pretty much never fish. Ya'll are very lucky to have the quality fishing that you have and shouldn't get so discouraged when you're "only catching 20lbers". If we could only be so lucky LOL!
I agree Wes, We are spoiled! lol I am located between the Potomac River to my north and the James River to my south........LIFE IS GOOD!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Well, after consistantly catching fish exceeding the 30 and 40lb mark every trip out I thought I was sure to join the 50lb club in no time at all! However, I have been somewhat frustrated on my last three fishing trips in which I only landed one fish over 20 lbs!
Man, that's pretty gutsy talk from a guy who caught his first Blue Cat only a few short months ago. Boy, how quickly we get spoiled! LOL! Life is indeed good for the catfisher here in Virginia.

BTW...thanks for taking a break :time-out: ...now maybe their lips will heal up :doctor: so I can catch one or two! :Happy:

Oh, and when are you going to change that avatar picture...I'm tired of people trying to zoom in on my GPS to get the coordinates of that honey hole we were on. :secret:

Take care.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man, that's pretty gutsy talk from a guy who caught his first Blue Cat only a few short months ago. Boy, how quickly we get spoiled! LOL! Life is indeed good for the catfisher here in Virginia.

BTW...thanks for taking a break :time-out: ...now maybe their lips will heal up :doctor: so I can catch one or two! :Happy:

Oh, and when are you going to change that avatar picture...I'm tired of people trying to zoom in on my GPS to get the coordinates of that honey hole we were on. :secret:

Take care.
It's all your fault CHUCK! You set my standards too high from the start!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Man I just hope I can get into the 20 lb club, all you guys talking about 40, 50, and 50 plus lb club is it really that good out there on the Potomac?

X's 2 there brother. I also would love to put me or the wife in the 20lb club, hell I'm not picky I'll go for the 15lb club at this point. Fishing has been pretty rough around my areas I normally fish. But it can only get better.

I'm going to have to head north to try the promised land of catfishing as soon as you guys start wearing them out again...

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Man I just hope I can get into the 20 lb club, all you guys talking about 40, 50, and 50 plus lb club is it really that good out there on the Potomac?
The James and Patomac Rivers are Big Catfish Havens, there's the potential to get a 50+LB fish every trip out. Many 60, 70 and 80LB fish are caught all the time, Va has even had a few 90LBers and the state record was caught during the spawn last year at 102LBs

·
Registered
38 Posts
The James and Patomac Rivers are Big Catfish Havens, there's the potential to get a 50+LB fish every trip out. Many 60, 70 and 80LB fish are caught all the time, Va has even had a few 90LBers and the state record was caught during the spawn last year at 102LBs

Then I am luckier than I thought, now if only I had a boat! Found out why the bite is slow during the spawn check this bit of information out.

Catfish mate and take care of their young. They do not leave the eggs unattended unless they have hidden the eggs under rocks. Males often carry the eggs in his mouth until they hatch, and even carry the hatchlings in his mouth until they are mature enough to venture out.
Can't eat if ya got your babies in your mouth lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.