No beads on my rigs

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 8, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a standard carolina rig, years ago I stoped using a bead to protect my knot from the sinker, with great results.

I always thought a bead was a must with the sinker hitting the knot.

But for me anyway, the soft lead of a sinker does not hurt my knot at all, I think the hard edges of a bead can actually sometime damage your line, even if the bead goes over your knot, sometimes it catches..

I inspect my knot alot and have never found any damage from the sinker.

Your thoughts?

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I almost always use a bead but occassionally I don't...usually when I run out & can't sneak into my daughter's bead collection undetected to get more. When I don't use a bead I inspect my knot frequently, but I've never noticed a bad knot from not using the bead. I don't think I can disagree with you Jack. However, I've never noticed a bad knot from using a bead either.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jack I was talking to Eric about this years ago.

I haven't done the research to look at the hardness scale of plastic V.S. lead, and mentioned to him then about using a rubber type bead.

Many members from as far back as 1999/2000 were onto this also, and used things such as rubber tubing to the electric bumper stops from Lowes.

Quite a few off the shelf products that get repurposed in catfish marketing.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There are beads and there are beads.I use a bead from Walmart sewing section that is hollow to the knot side.I also use sinker slides and dont want the slide to hit the knot.A plain bead without the hollow will probably be just as bad as the sinker hitting the knot.:smile2:Besides Jack what difference does it make you plan on quitting anyway!!!!:smile2::big_smile::wink:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thats why I started using the rubber hose sections years ago. Also most times still use a bead above that. (Blues and Channels)
    The reason behind the plastic beads when it started was more for the sound of them clicking against the sinker and swivel. Than it was to protect the knot. As the clicking sounds draws fish to the bait. If you have ever been under water and hear fish feeding on mussel shells on a bed. There dropping some of the shells. This also causes a clicking sound.
    But like you the lead does not attack the knot as much as it used to years ago. Lots has changed in line making in the last 30 years.:wink:
    Pete

6. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    I put on the lead sinker, and then a bead, then the rubber stop at the knot. So I can still get the clicking sound . It works for me.:wink:

BIGCAT GarryEads

7. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i use a bead and also i use aquaruium pump hose it is soft yes it does work and cheap at wally world

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I worry about the sharp casting edge around the sinker hole.... lots of psi on that knot from the sinker when ya cast. I hate the Idea of a bead being against my knot too- but lesser of the two evil. I never thunked of a rubber bead paul.... it's a good Idea.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    another good Idea:big_smile:

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    You use the hose to protect the knot? Please explain...

11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    sinker bead then cut little peice of hose hose protects knot i use bank sinkers that is why i use beads cause hose has gone in the eye before bead will stop that

12. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I never use a bead just a tiny peice of Tygon fuel line, thats the yellow stuff. i use the smallest size made and cut it with a razor blade.:roll_eyes: 3 ft of this stuff will make hundreds of rubber bead, substitutes.

This line is the stuff used for small weedeaters.:wink:

I HOPE THIS HELPS..................bill.

13. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia

Jim, it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again! :smile2:

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    this solved it all for me store sinker slides are hard mine are not cheap aqwareum tubing and cheap snap swivels is all you need to make a sinker slide that will not heart the knot at all add a bead abuve the slide if you want i dont but it wont heart a thing if you do pic below

Attached Files:

15. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
  16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The hose is about the length as the bead is high. Put in on above the knot where you would a bead.
    Pete

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    They should at 23 cents apiece:eek:oooh:
    I can make over 200 of mine for what a pack of those cost but hey, we all do it different...W

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  19. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i bought a bunch of them from team catfish and they work great. i havent had anymore dinged up knots since i switched