Nite fishin for winter time blues?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by misterwhisker, Nov 25, 2008.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i was just wondering if blues were nocturnal or more active during the day?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I was wondering the same thing. I know a guy in Va. was catching them at night. We always go during the day in the winter just b/c it's marginally warmer:smile2: I'm gonna try going at night a little this winter just to get a few more trips in after work.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Spring thru fall I prefer the night time but during the winter I fish basically only days since reservoirs out my way closes at night during the winter months. But my biggest blues came during the day time in the winter months. Either early morn or mid to late afternoon.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Blues in this area bite better during daylight hours during the winter months. The bite is definately on now and will continue through March / early April. After the spawn in May the best fishing is at night the rest of the summer.

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    johnny how many big ones? and how big? just curious i havent been able to get out in a few weeks

6. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    i know fladhead r still hitting around dark,got a 30 pounder 2 weeks ago and i fished the same area with live on 1 and gill head on the other was there all day,picked up some channels during day time.but got him at night.but i have caught my blues during day thats because i fish a power plant that closes at like 7:00pm in the winter and 9:00pm in the summer,but boy i wish i could fish that lake just 2 hours longer,ive seen 30 - 50 pound blues taken during the day time like its nothing,but i know if u fished until midnight you might get a tripple digit.just my thoughts on the matter.

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have found that during the winter the best bite is first light until 11:00 AM. The winter bite is definitely on.

catman george

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Matt, I've been getting some good reports with lots of 20's, 30's a few 40's and 1 that was 60+. Big Sam and Baitboat have been doing about an 8 lb. average with good numbers down river. Me and Sam will be hitting Kerr Sunday morning at daylight.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The winter bite is the winter bite, period. And it's ON right now! No need to go at night when you can fish during the day when its warmer and easier to navigate. That sun disappearing makes a huge difference.

I've gone out recently intending to fish a couple hours into the night, but usually 30 minutes after the sun goes down I change my mind really fast! lol.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...i was just wondering if blues were nocturnal or more active during the day?...."

Blue catfish are opportunistic feeders that eat at all hours of the day. When they are hungry, or food is presented, they will eat day or night.