Nissan engine problems! Very long!!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Old Bill, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hi,

I bought a Nissan 4 HP four-stroke single cylinder engine in Oct. 2006 for a very small houseboat type shanty I was building. I sold the shanty without putting it on the water. I didn't use the engine until Sept. 2007, other than running it for 10-hours to break it in.

During a two week trip to the lake in Sept. 2007 I put the engine on a 14-foot aluminum boat and ran the engine about 15-hours. First week it ran fine except being a little hard to start. By that, I mean that I had to pull the starter rope at least 6 to 10 times, or more, to get it running.

The second week I ran out of gasoline on the far side of the lake. The engine has a 1 qt. internal gas tank. I poured gas into the engine's tank from a gas can I had on board. Then I tried to restart the engine. No luck!

I would pull in the cord until I couldn't pull any longer, then paddle, then pull, then paddle! After about about an hour of this, some kind person came by in a pontoon boat and towed me to my camp area.

I had tried every trick I knew to get the engine started without getting it to fire one time. After a couple of hours after being towed to the beach, I tried again and the engine did start.

Later, everytime I stopped the engine to add gasoline to the engine, so I wouldn't run out of gas...the engine would be very, very, hard to restart. I had to pull on the rope at least 30 to 40 or times before the engine would fire! I'm much too old for doing this!:angry:

Later, when I returned home from the lake, I wanted to run the fuel out of the internal gas tank and I was able to start the engine with only about 10 pulls. The motor ran fine.

However, yesterday I decided to test run the engine and was not able to get it started. Both my son and I pulled on the rope until both of us couldn't pull any longer!:eek:oooh:

I pulled the spark plug and it was wet with fuel, but I was never able to see fire at the spark plug. However, I'm not real sure I was getting the spark plug grounded properly when I was testing it.

Does anyone had any ideas about what might be causing these problems. The last time I ran the engine I had run the engine until it was out of fuel, and I had drained the engine's fuel tank.

I welcome any and all comments....

Bill

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Let's bump this to the top. It's not like I should ever have tools in my hands but I would change plugs in case they are fouled, take the choke off to see if too much fuel, check timing, I would also check the actual fuel line, fuel filters, look at the bowl, etc...

Now let the pro's chime in and tell me how wrong I am. Either way you'll get an answer LOL!

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Well, i'm no where near any sort of mechanic, but when i have trouble the first 2 things i always check are fuel and spark. You know you have fuel, but not sure about spark. Do yourself a favor and get a spark checker. They are cheap and make it alot easier to see if there's spark.

Harbor Freight has them VERY cheap. I've got one, and it works well. Put it on the spark plug, and put the plug wire on top and give her a pull. If the plug is getting fire, it will light up.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36258

If you have fuel and spark, then you need to figure something else out, but start there.

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    sounds like a bad plug or choke not working right,make sure to check the compression and make sure the internal parts are good

5. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    i'm gathering this isn't a new motor, i would play with your float level. it sounds like you might be getting too much fuel.on the bottom of the carb there should be a little knob/screw (thing) try turning this in , little by little... 1/4 turn at a time. replace your spark plug and double check the gap on it, if by chance you dont know how, the person selling you the plug should be able to help....remember the amount of turns that you've gone with the float, you might end up wanting to go the other with it and you should know where it was in the first place. there should also be a mixture screw in the side of the carb, i doubt this is your problem, it may reqire a little tweakin.. if none of tis works i would take it to someone who knows what there doin.......good luck..

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I've decided that since the motor is still covered by it's warranty, I'll take it to the local Nissan dealer tomorrow and let them take a look at it.

I'll let you know what they find out is wrong.

Thanks again,

Bill

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    For anyone who might be interested, I got my motor back today from the local Nissan dealer. When I went to pick up the motor, the repairman showed me that the motor would now start on the first pull! Which is somthing that the motor has never done before!

Of course, the motor was warm from being run, but, still that is a great improvement.

The repair man said he had a heck of a time starting the motor when he first started working on it, and when it was running it didn't run very well.

He checked the spark and found the electrical system working fine. He did replace the spark plug, but the motor still wasn't running right.

After looking at the carburetor he decided to not remove it and clean it, but instead sprayed some cleaner into the carburetor, at which time the motor started running much better.

He thinks that some trash from the fuel had clogged up something and the cleaner spray dislodged it.

So today the motor is running great....now, how it will run the next time I try to start it in a week or so? Who knows?? It would be great to own a motor that would start each time with only two or three pulls.:smile2: Otherwise, I'm going to have to find a motor with a electric starter.

I also found out that the Nissan warranty didn't cover such repairs! Oh well!

As long as the motor runs right...it was money well spent!:smile2:

Bill

8. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    You might consider cleaning the gas can real good so as not to get more trash in the carbs ,if thats what the problem was

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you don't have already, I would definitely get a plastic tank. Rust, dirt, any of that will clog the system

Glad it's runnung well for you, I know how frustrating it can be.

10. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Well, when i bought my 2 stroke, i listened to a spiel for someone who had bought a 4 stroke. The dealer told him that the 4 stroke has very tight tolerances in the carb (this is a paraphrase, i dont remember the exact terms, etc) , and they recommend using a product like Stabil at all times. That means every tankful, weather you're using the motor every day or once a month. Now, that was yamaha, but i'm sure all the 4 strokes are probably alike in this department. Might be worth it, especially if you're running it only once every couple of weeks. They also suggested a fuel water separator/filter for all the 4 strokes they sell, saying they are affected badly even by small amounts of water. I dont know how you would hook this up with the internal tank, but its still something to think about.

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks, that's a very good suggestion! I was using a very old plastic 1 gal tank that I had used for years. I'm going to demote it to lawn mower use and start using a new 6 gal plastic tank.

My motor is equipted so that I can plug an external fuel tank hose to the motor.

Bill

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    loanwizard, I going take your advice and buy a plastic tank this next week.

You are right...it's so frustrating to save your money and finally buy a new motor...and the dang thing won't run right!:angry:

Bill

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    The repair shop did add some Stabil to the fuel when they were running the motor, so I believe your are right and I should keep some in the fuel all the time.

A fuel water separator/filter might be kind of costly, but I believe it would be worth it in the long run. At present I'm lucky if I can use the motor once ever two months! With my motor I can use a external fuel tank.

I didn't tell about all the problems I had at the lake when I bought (I believe)
    some gas with water in it. The motor ran real rough and wouldn't idle at all! So I do believe that a little water in the fuel can cause a lot of trouble with 4-stroke motors...at least the smaller one-cylinder ones.

Bill

14. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    The fuel/water separator is definately a good idea with a plastic tank....like it was described to me: "Plastic Tanks make water. Just stick a clean, empty plastic Ziplock bag out in the sun, and you'll see what i mean." Thats coming from the person working at the dealer.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Howdy Folks!

Just thought I'd let you know how I'm doing with my misbehaving Nissan 4 HP motor. The Nissan dealer did get it running just fine on 1-15-08, but I haven't been able to "check it out" because of cold weather.

Today it was 65 degrees so I filled up a trash can with water and stuck the motor into it.

Using the internal-built in gas tank, it took 4 pulls with the starter rope before fuel reached the carburator. (I had the fuel line disconnected from the carburator) Then two more pulls and the motor started! Hurry!:big_smile:

After running the motor for awhile so it would warm up, I then stopped the motor and restarted it several times. It would start on the first pull every time, except when I let the motor cool down for one hour. Then after applying the choke, the motor started on the next pull.

I then hooked up the 6-gallon plastic fuel tank, and the water separator filter that I had bought, and while the motor was still running off the built in fuel tank, I shut off the built in tank and ran the motor off the 6-gallon tank. The motor ran fine, and ran long enough to be receiving fuel from the 6-gallon tank and filter.

I then stopped and started the motor several times to ensure that it was running OK off the larger fuel tank.

I'm now very happy with the motor and believe it will help me catch a bunch of catfish this Spring!!:smile2:

Well, a guy's gotta dream hasn't he?:tounge_out:
    Bill