Nishnabotna River

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by mapper, Jun 6, 2006.

1. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    I drove over the nishnabotna yesterday on my way back from Omaha....I haven’t been that far up 29 in a while and I forgot how big the nishnabotna is. Does this river have a dam or powerhouse on it somewhere upstream?

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mapper, I live near the Nishnabotna about 70 miles up stream, and there is no dam or anything that I know of. Hope this helps. Stan

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've read a story or two about fishing at a dam on this river but have never seen it myself.

4. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There is a small dam on Troublesome Creek, which runs into the Nish., just north of Atlantic. That is the only dam I know of close to this river. Stan

5. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    Thanks guys,

I was just curious about a dam or powerhouse.

This river looks to be the same size if not bigger than the big blue river in SE nebraska and I know of at least 5 partial dams and powerhouses along the big blue river.

The big blue river has dams and powerhouses spaced about 30-40 miles appart.

Now i'm curouis as to why certain rivers have dams and powerhouses within the midwest and others do not, perhaps it has something to do with the drop in elevation per river mile.

Thanks again.

6. sethnelson

sethnelson New Member

State:
    iowa
    hey mapper about 20-25 yrs ago army corp. of enginerrs did studies at harlan ia to dam the river just north of there they found that water levels changed so much that it would be a waste of time and money. so hope thats what your looking for.