ninnesch river

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kat king, Jun 25, 2008.

1. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    anyone fish the north fork of the ninnescah river by cheney lake?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Believe it or not I might be tomorrow. My neighbor is a striper guide out there and he invited the wife and I to go for a day. I hope he plans on chasin cats.:smile2: If not then we will fish the river after we get done with the other kind of fishin. Do you ever have any luck out there?

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was actually looking at a map of it today trying to find a new place to fish. Looks like there's a boat ramp right up there on the river. Do you fish it alot? Any good cats up in there?

4. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I have been there before and it looks like a good place for channels and maybe an occassional flat. It is really shallow, I think you could only boat it when the river is up a little bit. I think that there is free primitive camping there.

5. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    well not so much here lately:sad2: i have a good hole by the mouth of the river where it meets the lake but have not nailed any this year yet maybe i need to explore a lil more and find a new hole... i hear they run good and big 2 45 plus pounds but never got one.. my biggest is 17 where do u spend most of your time fishing at?

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I fish the Ark rivers, Walnut River and Kaw Lake. I dont fish lakes a whole lot, Im pretty much a river rat. But Kaw has blues and they are my favorite. I usually fish below the dam there anyways.:smile2:

7. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i am also a river rat i rarely ever fish on the lake a am strictly a cat man that is the only fish i even go for i just seem to have a problom finding them this year :angry: i have not done anything different this year i cant figure it out!

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Most of my fishing this year has been in Winfield on the Walnut River, until it started flooding. The ramp kind of got destroyed from that, so lately I've been trying to find new places. I went to the north side of El Dorado the last two weekends till late in the morning (between 3 and 4 each time) with nothing, not even a bite. Had 5 lines out with different baits on each of them, even tried cut drum that my buddy happened to catch while we were there. We had liver, live gills, cut shad, worms, cut drum, and well... we had enough variety that we should have gotten a bite. Needless to say I'm looking elsewhere than El Dorado.

9. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have never fished those places but the ninnescah is a good spot lots of nice channels and flats finding them is the key i have fished that river my whole life and still have yet to figure out the fish last year caught alot biggest bein 17 lbs but i hear they are alot bigger and have seen pictures of some. and the ramp is a good spot if u fish to the left of it u can see a clearing hard spot to get tho always someone there its good fishing all up and down the bank line tho the best spot is to the left of the ramp tho:big_smile:.

10. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    hope this helps ya out smhmc6 when and if u try it out better luck at night than daytime and there is free camping right by the river if u want to :big_smile:

11. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    The river is usually to shallow to run a boat in. The best way is to wade fish it. There are some nice holes in the river just have to find them. I know there is one by the ramp and just to the south of the bridge that goes over it . I usually wait till it is shallow and wade it. I have seen pics of big flats but i have never caught any but i am not a good flat fisherman either.

12. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    ya i when i was younger i would wade the river but have not for years i would set alot of lines biggest caught out of that river was a 10 lb flathead to the right of the ramp where the island is.thanks for the info :big_smile:.......