Ninnescah River flathead catfish - Gettin old...

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kat king, Jun 25, 2008.

1. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have been fishin the ninnescah river my whole life and yet to catch a big flathead i am looking for a new fishin spot . anyone have any good ideas i live around hutch. and whats anyones take on cow creek anymore?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    never have fished any but i do have friends that drive to cow creek in lyons and they say it is great for channels and for some flatheads hope this helps if you ever want to drive 2 hrs just give me a shout and i will sure try to put you on some nice ones right now it slowed down again for spawn but will pick up real soon

3. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanks for the info and the reply i will defenitly give ya a shout when i go that way. i fish cow creek but people say its no good anymore and i just have that feelin they are still there.thanks again. o and how long does spawn run? and are they active still on spawn?:smile2:

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    dont quote me but i believe its a 40 something day gestation

5. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanks for the info are they still active during the spawn i am always chasin whiskers and cant find them?:angry:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You can still catch them but the bite slows way down. IMO you would be better of fishin th Ark than you would the Ninnescah, northof cheney anyways. The Ninnesach is really good by where it dumps into the Ark by Oxford.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    kyle is right they dont all spawn at the same time and the female keep a going

8. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanks kyle i have always looked at the ark river and wanted to fish it but i dont know where to begin. what should i be lookin for on the ark when tryin to find a good hole?:big_smile:.......

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    all rivers are the same just remember ripple hole run
    and log jams rock piles and structure is a very important part of a hole
    no matter how big or small the river i can look at a spot and tell you without a depth finder if it might hold fish just have to learn to read the river

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    A good hole in the Ark is any hole.:smile2: Fish outside bends and look for structure. Even one tree in the water can produce a flathead. Wade fish it, only lettin your bait sit in one spot for a few minutes. You cant wait for them to come to you, you have to go to them. Take advantage of the shallow water.

11. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanks gus thats what i do when finding a good spot i live probobly 5 blocks from the ark so tonight i am gonna go chase them whiskers on the ark and see what that brings.:smile2:.....

12. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanks for the info kyle it means alot that everyone helps eachother out on seeken the kats i have been to some sites where people wont even talk to me:angry:..... not lookin to steal a spot lol just tryin to chase them whiskers..:big_smile: