Nile Perch

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Swampy, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Have any of you fished for them,if so what do they hit on? I was thinking about trying them for cut bait for C.Cats.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    From what I gathered from my cousin that lives in Auburndale FL they don't catch them on hooks very often, mainly catch them in a cast net.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Thinks Bro. I may have to net a few & try them.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I think I read on the FL DNR that they are some kind of Tilapia. They are tasty little fish i know that much.

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I may have to try and fry some of them.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I just foud out that some guy's are catching them on ult. light rods using small chuncks of hotdogs as bait.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Some get pretty good size so that would be fun.

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Just googled Nile Perch and I don't think an UltraLight set up will work.
    They grow up to 6' and 440lbs. But that would be one great catch.
    Will

Attached Files:

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    There are more then one type of fish that are in the Nile Perch family. I'm not sure witch ones we have here in Fl,but they don't get that big.LOL From what I've heard about them they are in the size range of large sunfish.

10. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Great Picture CoonX! I went to Egypt 3 years ago, but did not get to go to Aswan for the Nile Perch in Lake Naser. They catch them on muskie lures, but you must remove the factory hooks because they are too light!!!! It takes heavier hooks to hold them. These fish are predators and fast. It would sure be fun to tangle with one. The fishing is all catch and release as they are limited and found mainly in lake naser (formed by the High Dam on the upper Nile at Aswan). If you have Nile Perch in Florida, find out what they feed them in Egypt!!!! Hannibal Mike

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Look's like good catfish bait to me......LOL :eek: :D :eek:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I just pulled them up on Google, too. From what I read, some folks call tilapia 'Nile perch'; but the real Nile perch are prohibited in Florida. Apparently, they are not only large, but very bad about eating up the local fish population.

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

I found out that they are indeed "tilapia" not Nile Perch. However folk's call them nile perch down here.LOL

14. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    WOW! those things look like some sort of black bass or somthing.....ima market a top water lure for them,its gonna be made out of a 5gal bucket lol :p

15. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    swampy i used to go to dover park and snatch hook them and i'll tell you what when you hook one in the you got a good fight on you hands. but natting would be you best bet and they do get to be a good size i've seen them to be about 3#s. :D but are they ugly