Nighttime White Bass Question

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by GMC FishHauler, Jul 19, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Does anyone know how to locate the white bass schools at night?
    We went with a guide several tears ago and he put us on the white bass and we were all limited out in just a few hrs.
    How do u find them?
    what depth?
    what kind of bottom to i need to be looking for?
    any structure?

2. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I DONT KNOW , BUT SHAD GO SHALLOW AT NIGHT ,SO U MIGHT START THERE.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    GMC I used to catch boatloads of whites fishing right up against the dam at lake Travis most summer nights.Hang a coleman lantern over the side and the shad will show up and so will everything else.The whites tended to hang just outside the light and swoop through.I would catch them byt casting a minnow out to the edge of darkness and letting it freefall back towards the boat.Lots of crappie show up also.You can catch the at Belton Stillhouse etc the same way.:big_smile:

4. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A good fishfinder helps. Look for humps and depth changes.

5. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    My Dad and I caught boatloads of white bass over the years at night. We have used everything from coleman lanterns hung over the side to fluorescent green lights submerged just below the surface. We fished in Weiss lake in Alabama. We fished mostly in the Coosa river channel. We would fish the outside bends of the channel right on the edge of large shallow flats or we would fish in the middle of the channel under the Cedar Bluff bridge. Small baitfish will congregate under the light and the predators are soon to follow. The depth of where the whites will be running depends on the temp of the water. You must experiment with different depths to find them. We used small minnows, small shad, and fresh willow flies (may flies) as bait. We fished only one rod at a time each because you must be in constant contact with your line. Sometimes the whites would swim up underneath the bait and push up as they were taking it off the hook. No bite was felt but if you looked real hard you could see your tight line form a small "S". Jerk and you'll have him. Sometimes they will hit like a freight train and other times they warn you with only a very gentle tap. I caught 35 one night and did not feel the first bite. I love fishing at night in the late summer because it beats the heat of day and you can catch a variety of fish under the light.
    Hope this helps some,
    Alan