Nightcrawlers?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by slowjamcdub, Nov 11, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :smile2:Ive got most of my cats BY using Nightcrawlers, but it is starting to hurt my pocket$$$ And I have tried to go outside after it rains and find them but not luck didnt even see a single one! DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REALLLLLY HUNT FOR Nightcrawlers????:roll_eyes:

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    My grandmother used to have a spot in her garden that the sink drained into. When I was a kid, we would always dig for them there. I can't remember not ever getting any. You could probably make an above ground bed for them. Just put some rich dirt and mulch there, and keep it moist. Maybe pour some leftover dishwater on it every once in a while.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a funny thing. I picked up nightcrawlers all throughout my childhood, always at night, after rain, with a flashlight.

I move to GA, no nightcrawlers

I moved to KY, no nightcrawlers.

I think they have trouble swimming the ohio:wink:

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if your soil isnt right you wont find them!!! i have found them in certain areas of my town but not around my house.. i think nightcrawlers like certain kinds of soil .. you may do some research and give yourself a better idea of were to look.. or you could just raise your own....

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    What kind of soil you have?

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This about says it all...

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I caught tons of them in NY as a kid then I moved to Fla...none there , then I moved to SC...none here either . So I dunno about Kentucky, I will assume your saying they are there .

When I caught them I had very few in my yard, yet my neighbor had tons of them . I also found a lot of them across the street at the school yard . So if you have them their in Ky. try different areas cause my neighbor had the same dirt we did yet they preferred something over there. Cow fields, around lakes, playgrounds. My best places were in mowed grass but not real thick grass, there was always small open patches, that's where I could see them . They come out and stretch across to another worm to mate or to clear water from their holes .

I use a flashlight with a handkerchief over it because they are super sensitive around light and they will zip back down the hole and you will never even see them . Colored lenses may work , I didn't have one back then .

Also walk SUPER quiet . If you even snap a twig they are gone . After a rain is naturally the best time but they still come out as long as it not to dry out . From dust and a few hours after I've always done great . I've never tried after 11pm at night...I was to little and not allowed , LOL .

Hope this helps ya some . Its real fun to do especially for kids......I wish we had them here ; (

-Jim-

Oh ......it will go by the acid content ( ph ) of the soil . You will not be able to tell by the looks of the soil alone .

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    All good suggestions on above post.I'm just surprised no one told you to make your self a WORM SHOCKER.They seem to work pretty well.I have a home made one out of a steel rod point on the end,House extension cord (one lead wire taped to rod )other taped so it wouldn't touch rod (Shocking If It DOES). Tape up handle real well Plug into electric and shove down into ground.If working right you can feel it vibrate through rod. If I can get a picture i'll post mine so you get a better idea of setup.

9. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would love to see a picture of this. I am very nervous around electric and would llike to find something like this that I felt comfortable with. Also do you have to leave it in the ground for a while?

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Forgot to mention that on the handle part make you some wood handles and tape on real tight.Be sure the hot wire is down on the rod more and not taped on the handle.
    Here is some pictures of mine .Hopefully more explanatory than what I'm trying to say.If done right it won't shock you.
    No you don't have to leave it in one spot very long.If there they will come up prettyquick.

Attached Files:

11. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was told that you could get 2 screw drivers, and stick them in the ground maybe a few foot apart. then get a car battery and hook the ends to the screwdrivers. Never tryed it, so im not sure if it will work. I just buy mine. :embarassed:

12. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    you can buy them in bulk from the worm farms and start your own little farm?

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Just pick them up in front of the garage and in the driveway after it rains. Lot of them around here.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can build a worm factory real simple.if you have native night crawlers in your area just put out some old,older the better,bales of hay.ever year put out 3 bales and then when you need worms just cut the strings and pull the bales apart.the worms will be there.o another thing keep the bales damp with ground water tap water seems to put them back in the ground for a day or 2.

15. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a very interesting thread with lots of value. Thanks for all of your ideas

16. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :smile2: Yes thank you guys so much! Its going to be fun tryin all the new ways to get them! :roll_eyes:

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I saw this thread and will offer another tip.
    First all the above is good inf..

Worms is what I use the most when fishing. Put a couple of fat juicy worms on a hook . I always seem to catch a fish when nothing else works. I dont have a lot in my yard but I could easily make a worm bed to keep them from spring to fall. Where I fish, plenty of worms in the area. Doesn't take long to gather up a coffee can full. We call em a bucket of guts. Big fat worms, some look like baby snakes. LOL
    I look at the ground and can tell if worms are there are not. Worm dirt is loose, usually rich fertile dark looking dirt, moist. leaves etc. on top. Best way I found in calling up worms is using 2 sticks. I get one knotted up stick, doesn't have to be big, kind of poke it in the ground a little . Take other stick and rub up and down knotted stick. Noise and vibration
    from rubbing the 2 together makes worms come to top of ground. I do this and wait a second or 2, if worms are there, they come boiling out of ground. Works every time for me if worms are there. Can also use a couple pieces of rebar. I sometimes carry a walking
    stick , long enough so I dont have to bend over each time I do it. I just walk an area , vibrating ground with sticks and see which spot the worms come up. Also I sometimes just rub a stick agains a small maybe 3" round tree and it works just as well. I guess the roots carry the sound .
    In cooler weather or dry times, we dont have as many worms. I buy nightcrawlers from local bait shops. Bout 3 bucks for a good hand full of fat ones. Box says 18 count but usally there are plenty more than 18 in box.

If wanting to make a worm bed, farm for yourself. There is several articles in the BOC library that tells the best way to do it. Lot of good how to do it yourself stuff in BOC library. Look at top of page under
    CATFISH PUBLICATION and click on , Member library.
    [​IMG] Member Library .
    Once that opens you got a list of threads to check out. I usually go to the table of contents an start from there. Many worm bed articles in there.

Also wanted to add. Just the inf in Member library is worth a star membership