Nightcrawlers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by jason berry, Jul 26, 2006.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I was wondering if anybody has ever done this. In ohio around Cincininati after a hard rain in the summer you can take a light out at night and walk around and grab big ass night crawlers right off the ground but you got to do it quick because if they feel the vibration or the light is on them to long they will go back into the ground. i mean these suckers are big to and you can catch alot of them we would go up to school where there was a real big area of mowed grass and just catch buckets of them. The bad part is where im from in Indiana you cant do this, i dont know if the dirt is not rich enough or what. But, I always liked going and visiting my family in Ohio and id always come back with a ton of bait. ive also heard of people using blacklights so they dont scare them away.

2. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yea...been around for ever... but you can just go digging for worms also too... with same success

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You all are lucky down here in Tn we don't have nightcrawlers like that. Now when I lived in New Jersey after rain or if you watered the lawn for a while the ground at night would be covered in them.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah...my brother and I used to do that when we were young growing up in Cleveland. We used to get some fat ones too...

5. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I could never get any around where I live except for one house where a lady who worked with my mother lived. Every evening after a rain they would be EVERYWHERE, but only in her front yard. None in the back, and none in the neighbor's yards.

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Been doin it since we were little , inda hard on my broke back now though .
    Brian

7. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Night crawlers rocl love them deep fried they are good bait too LMAO

Ned

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You mght try old undisturbed land. I go to a cemetary after a good rain or a city park. It seems like when they build new places they kill all the worms. I think all the chemicals we use on lawns hurt the worms. good luck.
    Go to the libary and look up worms , there are some really good articles about growing and keeping a worm box.

9. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Yea Jason it is a lot of fun too, a few dogs in the back yard helps also. You might try a cow pasture crawlers seem to like fecal matter.

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I just wish it worked in Evansville Indiana worms can get expensive

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    when you are looking for them put a red scarf over the light to dim it alittle and they wont spook as easily. also a cup of clorox and 5 gal of water will bring them up pretty quick anytime. this works for red worms also. just put them in a bucket of water to rinse them off after catching them.

12. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jason,my brother you bring up many memories for me.Thank you! Yes and what fun it was.If we could get a really good rain it would help matters.My luck was usually in the spring when it rains alot or usually rains alot.My question for you,Have you ever shocked them up?Thats alot of fun also.I use to do that frequently in the hot summer,I'd turn the garden hose on and get the ground really wet then stick shocking rods into the ground.It wasn't long and I had plenty of nightcrawlers. My late brother-in-law's father watched one time and he was totally amazed at what I was doing.Guess he didn't know it could be done.---------pk powell:big_smile:

13. Justyn Catfisherman

Justyn Catfisherman New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Here in Jersey i do it after every rain. ANd if it dont rain and i need bait i will just water the lawn for a long time and i can get hundreds of them in one night. Last night i sold them to all the city slickers that go to my lake and made a lot of money. There aint no bait shops near me except for me.

14. Herogre

Herogre New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We send our kids out after a nice rain and they come back with loads of worms.We have them use l.e.d. lights.The l.e.d. lights don't seem to spook the worms like a regular flashlight does.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Used to do it in MO. all the time. When we were young we'd sell 'em to the bait shops. or trade them for tackle.

No such luck in south FL.:sad2:

16. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I would walk the little 4' wide patch of grass between the road and the sidewalk in or cities main street during the rain at night and pick up night crawlers using the fcity lights to see them. I would pick up 100's of them and sell some and fish with some. Good memories!