NightCrawlers for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ravensmavsfan, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I'm wondering if any body here uses crawlers for flats. I have only got two flats on crawlers.

Anybody use live Crawfish at all ?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there was this old dude that used to fish a paylake i used to fish at when i was a teen, he swore on crawlers for flats. he used to put a whole dozen on a hook and troll with a float. the sight of all those wriggling crawlers use to almost make me puke! dont know if it was the worms or the fact that he covered a lot of water by trolling.

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    90% of the time, flatheads eat live fish. Nightcrawlers and crawdads are more of an adolescent flathead food. Once they reach a certain size, they basically just eat live fish. Just after winter, when ice thaws, frozen shad works real well also.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've caught smaller size Flatties (20" and smaller) on nightcrawlers but never a big one.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Your chances of hooking a big flathead on nightcrawlers is slim and none,IMO.The larger of the speicies will take fresh fish (live or dead)(cut or whole). Sure you can catch the small ones on them but who fishes for small ones, LOL!!!
    Pa$&*#+s are not a good example to go by, simpley because the fish don't act normal in a closed in inviroment. It is not natural for them and messes up their natural instincts. Most of the big flatheads in these places were caught out of rivers and placed in them. They didn't grow up there and won't get any bigger either. They tend to loose weight.

6. p_strouth

p_strouth New Member

State:
    Louisville Tn
    I have caught several flatheads on nightcrallers this fall withthe largest being 27# .I always have at least 1 baited with them. :D

7. TimberTalker

TimberTalker New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have caught several flatheads on night crawlers, they seem to work well during certain times of the years, not as many big flatheads on crawlers but several around 10 pounds.

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Ive caught flats up to 15lbs on crawlers.from what i have learned catfish are usually scavangers up until around 20# or so and then become hunters.its far from impossible to catch a mature flat on a crawler but your odds are better if you use some sort of live bait fish. good luck

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    there was a study done examining the stomach contents of different sized catfish (in this example flatheads) to see what they ate... Over about 2 feet the primary food found was some sort of baitfish, though Crawfish were also found in several of the larger ones... between 24 and about 10-12 inches worms, insects, and other foods came into play too and under 12" it was pretty much anything they could catch...

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally saw a guy catch 4 flatheads over 40-lbs on nightcrawlers one day..This was on a public river, I was fishing shad right next to him and never got a hit...My sons biggest flathead of 27-lbs was caught on a small piece on nightcrawler while fishing for carp.

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    i caught a 25# flat on a single nightcrawler.

12. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Fatcat's 25 pounder

Attached Files:

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i don't want to say it but sounds like someone didn't know they caught something till the flathead came and ate it...

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My theory of using night crawlers for Flatheads is that when you have a gob of them on it creates a feeding frenzy from the smaller fish and attracts the big ole flats and they come to investigate and takes the bait.
    What ever happens is, I have caught flat heads on worms.

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i too have caugt some nice flats on crawlers just not any monsters. I tend to just rig a few on my hook and then take a syringe and blow them up so that they float off the bottom. trick some old man taught me. he would use 4- 6pd test and reel them in all day..

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

when the water gets moving good worms are a killer bait for flatheads big and small

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i like to use crawlers as much as live bait fish esp. when they are in shallow water during spawn. flatty feed off of movement in the water and when they are shallow and you have a couple of worms out that are moving around and trying to get away they may mimick crawdads or some sort of lizard that the flatty cant pass up.

18. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I don't use nightcrawlers unless I am at the dam or just bored out of my mind and want to catch a fish, so much crap to be caught off of them. Although......the biggest flathead I have ever seen came off of a nightcrawler near the dam so..... ? :confused:

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I see flatheads get caught on night crawlers out of the Neosho river on a consistent basis. They are best during a flood when the water gets up into the river park...but I see people using them and catching as many flathead as we do with perch. I saw a 50 lb flathead get caught on a big wad of nightcrawlers one day at the local dam. I know they will work...as long as you don't mind fighting off the drum in the process.

20. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Around here, I've never heard of Flats being caught on worms. A lot of people swear by them for channels though.