Nightcrawlers for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jms43, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone use nightcrawlers for flathead bait? I've heard people catching them in this area but I wouldn't know what kind of presentation to use. Any suggestions??

2. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i have never caught any flatheads with them, but it might be different there.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have not caught a flathead on night crawlers either . Im not saying it couldnt be done . I would say try some shad , skip jack , or blue gill whole or cut .

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've caught some small to medium sized Flatcats (up to 15#)with nightcrawlers,, They don't hit like they do on a bluegill, but, they still seem to hit the crawlers occasionally,, I've used several on a hook, and sometimes with just using a single worm,,,

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have caught Flatheads on them in the spring. I use a carolina rig when fishing night crawlers for flatheads. I fish it close to undercut banks, log jams and large boulders. Hope this helps.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've caught dozens on crawlers. Usually a pound size ball of them though.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'd use a nightcrawler to catch a bass or bullhead then use that to catch a nice flatty:wink:

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I heard someone say put a bunch on and try it a big wad of nightcrawlers it attracts attention:wink:

9. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I have caught some on dyed green nightcrawlers and they seemed to smell funny ( they have blue ones too) maybe it was dye they used. The cats seemed to like them maybe they taste better. I put three or four on the hook. If you can find some maybe you could try them. hope this helps.:smile2:

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have caught infant/juvenile flatheads on worms. Nothing big though. Stick to live bait unless you don't want to tangle with the gorilla flathead:cool2:.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    flatheads love worms and catching them is easy.catching big flats on worms is kinda hard.early in the year when the spring floods hit i fish regular earth worms and later in the summer i use native nite crawlers,havent tried the store bought worms but they should work.i only use worms when the river is up and real muddy rest of the time i use live bait.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have never used them for bait. They can be cought on them though. Like the others said use a ball of them in muddy water.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you can catch almost anything on crawlers!. there-in lies the problem.

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my buddy has caught small flatties on crawlers before.

15. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Ihave caught lots of flats on worms usally early spring or when the rivers high I have a buddy that almost exclusivly uses worms but only the kind we dig at a secert spot LOL

16. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    From listening to these boards over the years I have heard (seen) that you can catch nice flatheads in the spring fishing worms and crawdads fishing them next to the bank or in flooded areas. Tried it couple years ago and did catch a couple nice flat heads but nothing really big..biggest was about 7 pounds. I was fishing right off the bank just a couple feet. Will give it a try again this year.

17. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    my pb was caught on a nitecrawler and it was 56.5 lbs

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught a 32 lb Flathead on nightcrawlers. In the spring, with 8 nightcrawlers on a hook. I usually dont use nightcrawlers, I prefer Big Live Bluegills. But that day, I was really fishing for channels and the Flathead took the wad of worms.:smile2:

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Ok John name something you didn't catch a flathead on:smile2:

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatheads can be caught of course on worms.. My best success has been during spring highwater. Alot of the banks, sandbars, and fields flood and quickly warm the shallows and banks.... It does draw lots of nightcrawlers and insects from them. The flatheads I have caught have been along the banks in this condition, or in the flooded shallows over the banks. They do move in there to feed not only on other baitfish, but look for them easy nutrious meals as well...:wink: I don't prefer to target them this way though. The channel cats seem to love this scenario as well.... rollo