Nightcrawlers-easy pickings

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by cook, Mar 23, 2007.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    There have been lots of post on how to get nightcrawlers to come out of the ground,useing red lenses on flashlights,how to keep/raise them.
    The only thing I've ever seen about picking them up is dipping your hands in a small sack of sawdust tied to your belt.

Maybe I missed it,so sue me,but I found a great way to pick them from the ground/road.

Warm spring temps and an overnight rain=tons of nightcrawlers at dawn(gotta beat the early bird)...finally got a bright idea from my few remaining braincells firing up my neurons.

I bought a tool at a yardsale for .50 cents,about a 2 foot long cable with a plunger on one end,a claw on the other.Mechanics use it to retrieve dropped screws,bolts,etc. from tight spots.

There ya go,no bending over,dirty fingernails,wet pants,just squeeze-release into bucket-pick up the next one.

I imagine you can pick one up at any auto store for under 5$.

Thats my 1 great tip for the year!!:big_smile:
    Singed,no more sore back in St.Joe.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the idea.My yard is full of them and I can't get them because of my back.I'll have to try that.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats cheating! lol I had my owm worm bed up untill last season. It got destroyed by the neighbor cus he's from the inner city and tried to mow his own grass! what an idiot. He has never even seen a mower in real lif etill he moved here! And of course he run right over my worm bed...Rail Road ties ' all! He said he'd reimburse me but I havn't seen a dime yet! lol :lol:

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Thats what my grandson is for...I'm lucky if he gets 25% of the yard!! :)

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've always just hunkered over with a flashlight @ night playing tug o war with them hoping I dont tear em in half or lose them. Cops here in the city like to watch. I wonder what they think when they watch.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Wanna hear a story about shooting overgrown grasshoppers off my shrubs with a bb pistol :0a10: :0a10:

10-24 "man with a gun call" "Sorry ,Officer,its all a big mistake"