Nightcrawler Trick

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Umba, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Umba

Umba New Member

State:
    WI
    Hello,
    Has anyone heard of using a leaf spring rubbed across a wooden stake to bring the nightcrawlers out of the ground?If so do you have any details?
    Umba

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    No I have not heard of the leaf spring, I heard of using a 1x4 board but never had any luck with it.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Todd,

I grew up learning to do this. It is called "Fiddling" and we call the earthworms "Fiddle worms". We would cut off a small sapling leaving about a foot tall stump. Rake all the leaves back around the root system, take a flat rock and rub back and forth accross the top of the stump creating vibrations. A dull hand saw will work also. The vibrations force the worms to the top...they stretch out for the plucking. I find that you must pick trees with good root systems and there must be worms in the area for it to work. My brothers and I used to fill gallon jugs and sell them to local worm farmers.

4. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thats pretty cool David, I'll have to try that...

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    A lot of folks don't believe it works, but I grew up doing it and let me be the first to guarantee it. My pops said it was a mountain boy tradition that was handed that has been used as long as his family can remember. With the price of bait nowadays, its worth a try even for the skeptics. If anyone needs any details feel free to PM me.

6. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    yea we used to take metal pipe and jam into the ground and take a file and scrap it against the pipe, worked best for me after a good rain

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    worked in fla. too!

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I remember doing it maybe 20 years ago but can't recall the best types of soil to do this in. I'll have to give this a try again.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I love learning little tricks like that! I will have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing, everyone!

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
  11. Umba

Umba New Member

State:
    WI
    Thanks to David and eveyone else for their input,I had heard of it but it was from someone who likes to pull peoples legs about as much as I do.Wasn't sure if it as true or I was getting sent on a snipe hunt.Thanks again.
    Umba

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thanks for a new trick that I have to try out.

13. MOOSE3.5

MOOSE3.5 New Member

State:
    Mid/West TN
    Neat. I'll have to try that.

14. Being a sceptic myself I think that a lot of vibration would bring them up anyway you do it. Like right now in california its been so dry that I doubt anyone would have luck finding worms. If I was back home I would stick to looking under logs and waiting for a hard rain to bring them out to make it a bit easier on myself.

15. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Why, DON'T OR CAN'T YOU SHOCK THEM UP?

16. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Time is money to me! I have very little time to spend doing things I like to do so I think I would stick to spending $2 at the store for my worms. Besides it helps the economy flow and keeps people carrying bait so I have a place to get it. But it is a very interesting way to go about getting your bait. Thanks for the information!

17. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    lots of great tips thanks brothers

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the great tips Brothers!!!