Nightcrawler question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by DADJBW, Oct 10, 2007.

1. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    Does anyone have a comment on getting nightcrawlers from the cemetary after a good rain? I can remember as a very young child going with my dad when it would rain and getting huge(what seemed huge to me then) crawlers. Anyone do this?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Its been a really long time since I lived high enough up North to catch them. I just remember using a flashlight with a handkerchief over it. The school was directly across the street so I had a lot of hunting grounds. I wish my kids were able to play tug of war with some crawlers, I had tons of fun as a kid.

3. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey if that is where the crawlers are at go for it. I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't think you will disturb anyone. I snatch night crawlers in our yard after a good rain. It is a lot of fun. When my kids were younger we would snatch them together, then the kids would count them out and put them into containers and sell them for a buck a dozen. They had a lot of fun with it. We even ventured into the town cemetary one night to pick them up. They were plentyful there.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ive never caught them in a cemetary but Ive caught them in alot of yards in my time.:wink:

5. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    why not just look in your yard or something. They come up and go on my driveway after rains during season alot.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you go to the cemetary to get crawlers?I bet people were dying to get in there.Ok bad joke ill have to work on it:eek:oooh:

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I don't like cemetaries in the daylight. For crawlers I just wait for a big rain, than go to a local - popular lake. I go to a spot where the water washes over the road, and pick up all I want on the black-top. No kneeling, and no broken crawlers. Think about it ; Dad takes the family fishin' once or twice during the summer,and buy's a couple dozen crawlers each time, but only uses four. I wonder what happens to the leftovers?? Golf courses are great during the dry season, because they water all the time (but they get real cranky).

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we used to catch them in our yard alot. especially after a good rain or if the dew was really heavy. might be getting a little chilly for them now though.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use crawlers when I catch perch for bait. I keep a piece of plywood on the ground behind the garage. When I need crawlers I lift it up and get about 4 to catch my perch. If you go out once a day and collect them, you should have plenty for the weekend of fishing. If it gets dry and hot out, spray the board with some water every couple days.

10. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have a big Ole Parking lot at our local Beach House / Boat ramp area. 3 - 4 acres all sloping gently to the lake .. A hard over night Rain and in Half an hour at first light I get all I need for the worm bed and even stock the garden with a Pound or two when there are lots.

Couple trips a season will do me and the Neighborhood Kids as well.
    Just a little trick on those Wet Willies.
    I keep about 3 inches of Hardwood mulch over the bedding. The survivors have no trouble finding the "Dirt"
    Crips don't .. Keeps the introuduction losses to a min from spoilded Dead ones.

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I USED TO CATCH THEM AT AN OLD CIVIL WAR CEMETARY IN NORTH CENTRAL KANSAS WHEN I WAS YOUNGER. NOW I JUST WATER MY YARD REAL HARD TILL WATER STARTS STANDING THEN WAIT THREE OR FOUR HOURS AFTER DARK . I FILL TWO OR THREE OF THOSE BIG PLASTIC FOLGERS CANS. WHEN END UP GOING FISHING I TAKE WAY MORE THAN I NEED AND GIVE THEM TO OTHER PEOPLE IF THERE IS ANYONE AROUND. I DO THIS ONCE OR TWICE BETWEEN SPRING AND LATE SUMMER.