Nightcrawler question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by cook, May 7, 2007.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I could google it,but its more fun asking ya'll.
    Pick up nightcrawlers all the time after rains,just normal ones.
    Occasional if I'm near the lake/river I'll find a few that are different.
    Very big,some over 1 foot long,and darker color.The most significant differece is they are WILD!!!Its like holding a snake,they curl,wrap around your hand,try to squirm between fingers,just flat out go ballistic.
    The locals call them "sandworms"

Any comments or info?:roll_eyes:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive seen those also I think that they are just feeding more. The canadien ones that you get from the store can get fairly long and wiggly when you let them.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    they are a nite crawler just a sub species.here in arkansas we call them snake worms.not as good as regular nite crawler but they catch fish.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya, the better the soil is ,the better the worm is gunnu be.:tounge_out: :big_smile:

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we use to catch those around M&M plant. They get HUGE in that soil. There skin also seems to be tougher and they will live longer than their candaian counter parts

6. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    IT PROLY JUST DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH AND WHAT THEY ARE EATING...

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Aint u is talking about them Wal-Mart Nightcrawlers, they are good bait for catfishing.

8. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    If there good for getting big cats keep on catching them :big_smile: :big_smile: :smile2: :tounge_out:

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    :tounge_out: :tounge_out:
    earth worms eat earth! the better the soil the better the worm gunnu be.

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    We've always called them jumpers............they'll about jump out of your hand when you stick'em with the hook. I've honestly had better luck with "standard" nightcrawlers, surprised me really considering all the yellow juice the squirts out of the "jumper". Don't even pick them up anymore unless crawlers are hard to come by. JMHO.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Didn't really notice much difference between the 2 monday,they both worked.They sure are lively,bout jump out of the bucket!

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Used to run a nursery. We'd get material in from Arkansas and Missouri. The soils or root balls would contain these guys. They called them Arkansas Jumpers. Never had luck with them-fish actually seemed to avoid them. Don't know why.

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    We have these little red type worms that we call "Georgia Jumpers" but they don't get nearly as big as a Nightcrawler let alone one of those things. When I was mowing the lawn yesterday I found a couple of mammoth looking night crawlers but I fed them to my fish! lol

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we used to use them when i was a kid. we would find them when we were digging for worms. we called em Georgia Jumpers, mainly cause we erent far from georgia and it sounded cool. thye work good for blugill, not much else though. i would stick to the canadian crawlers for cats.