Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was out in the middle of the night at the side of the road in my gore-tex rain suit in a torrential downpour with a flashlight and a five gallon bucket 1/3 full of a writhing mass of 10" Garter snake like worms. The Overland Park Police pulled up and wanted to know what the heck I was doing. After they ran my license I assured them I lived right across the street and I'm not a prowler or peeping tom. The cop says with a smile if you're out in the pouring rain in the middle of the night with a flashlight picking up nightcrawlers....... You might be a *******. I think he's right. But I picked up about 500 of the biggest,baddest nightcrawlers. It is that time of year....after a big storm walk the gutters that still are wet. I can pick up almost infinite numbers within 75 feet of my house. My worm farm is now overflowing.Get in the right place where a tributary dumps in a bigger lake or a creek runs into a smaller one and you can kill the big channel cats after a really hard rain. I caught 40 in 4 hours one day last year with 6 over 10lbs the biggest 24lbs and 36inches all in a 25' wide creek not more than 3' deep .....course the worms I was baiting with were free so the fact that I was using about 4 or 5 whole nightcrawlers on a 4/0 j hook with a bobber 18" deep didn't cost an arm and a leg.If I had to buy them at $2.00/dozen I couldn't afford to do that. Eric

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
"if you're out in the pouring rain in the middle of the night with a flashlight picking up nightcrawlers....... You might be a *******."

Lol. I picked up a few from the yard this morning. I've got good 2nd hand knowledge that worms work pretty good for flatheads in those same creek inflows. I knew a fellow who would catch a couple of nice ones, up to over 50lbs, out of Lake Jacomo almost every year doing that.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was looking out of my window last night while the crawlers were sliming around in the rain. I didn't notice any as big as the ones you mentioned though - maybe Kansas has bigger crawlers than Iowa. Anyway when I do see some bigger ones I'm gonna stock up myself.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
I saw a whole batch of gigantic Missouri nightcrawlers that Cuz paid a local boy to collect for him. I don't know where or when to find them myself but they were HUGE! I am talking GIANT here. Nothing like those store bought worms!

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Got a few myself last night. Driveway about 40' wide and 75' long on one side. After a rain or during I can find them there all the time. Throw the smaller ones back in the grass.
Jacomo is a good local lake to fish at the inlets during and after a rain. Channels will wear you out..

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My son went out with me while it was still light and all we found was little ones out front. We did get about a dozen good ones under the chum buckets behind the boat shed. When I went back out after midnight they were all over the place. Look for areas with spotty grass cover it's much easier to pull 'em out. I caught 2 6lb wipers and a 12lb channel last year up the creek at shawnee misison last year. Anything that swims will eat a big gob of worms especially where the waters running in. Eric

·
Registered
110 Posts
Between three of us we picked up over 1000 worms in two nights.. they are out in a big way.. we used them to pull in a 5 lb flattie today on the river.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.