night time

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by net man, Jan 18, 2010.

1. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    cant get the hogs to come out in the day light. what to do:Mad:

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that's what the full moon was invented for! get you a bait station that is getting hit regular for a few days before the full moon and get after em. they really let their guard down at night, as long as you don't get upwind of the bait or the trails they come in on. after you drop one, stay where you are. a lot of the time the pigs or other pigs will come back to the bait. one tip i'll give you is to use a scope. iron sights are hard to get lined up (for me) even with the street lamp glow of a full moon. oh yeah, and make sure it's legal in your area.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010

3. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    its not legal:disapointed:

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that sucks! how big of an area are you hunting? are you hunting over bait? if you are on an area that you can do some tracking, hogs are not hard to track at all, even when there's just one or two. where there's a bunch, their trails are like sidewalks through the woods. in the middle of the day try to find bedding areas. they will usually be tight, thick cover and not really accessible, but a lot of times you can get a good look at these areas with binoculars without disturbing anything. if you do disturb them, you probably won't even hear them leave. for me, open sights are the way to go in tight cover. if you can't find bedding areas, try sitting near heavy trails in tight cover. they use these throughout the day because of the shade and concealment. if there's water nearby it's even better. remember they are like deer in that the longer you spend chasing them, the better you'll get at it. good luck bud.

5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    get yo self some dogs.a couple good dogs and a sharp knife is all you need to put pork on the table.

6. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. I have this night hog hunting around the house here figured out! Got a little unit called a FEEDLIGHT www.ultramaticfeeders.com set up on a couple of corn feeder off a well used hog trail. Use a trail camera to pattern the hogs. Right now, they are showing up at the feeders somewhere between 8 and 10 pm. every night. Have a ground blind 25 yards from the feeder. Hunt them about once a week and have had excellent success. That Feedlight puts just enough light on the ground to see the hog but not so much as to spook them.
    I'm doing an article on night hunting and recently recieved a night scope (aries 350) from bass pro shops. This is first generation night vision but more than enought for seeing and shooting hogs out to forty or fifty yards. The cost is less than $400 which I consider very reasonable. But... night vision is not really necessary. The Feedlight and a low power scope will get the job done. Good hunting to you. lc