Night time winter blue catfish fishing - Any of the hardcore guys ever fish at night?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by RiverKing, Dec 9, 2008.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Any of the hardcore guys ever fish at night in the winter time? I know cats are more active at night,but does this apply to the winter time as well? I have never really tried it, but am going to try this weekend since a warm front is moving in. Not gonna go for an all nighter, but head out at about 1pm and fish until about 10pm..That way i will have my poles in during day, and night since it gets dark so early..Anyone got any opinions on this?

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Never fish at night in the winter.

Let us know how you do. Good luck.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Are you saying you never have, or are you saying DONT DO IT, Its a Suicide mission???...LOL

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    In my opinion, in the warmer months the blue cats will tend to hole up in the daytime, and then disperse to feed at night. In the deep winter they tend to stay in their holes most of the time, and there is little difference between day and night fishing, except that it tends to be a lot colder and darker at night. Holed up fish can be caught, both in the summer and winter, but you really need to find them and delivery the bait right to them, vs throwing out a bait and waiting for the fish to come to you like you can generally do on summer nights.

On the other hand there are times, especially in the early spring, where blues will come up in the shallows to feed in the sun warmed water, and in these circumstances the daytime bite is generally much better than night.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Every Tuesday night of the year....all night long...no exceptions! Even going tonight with the pouring down rains and thunderstorms. I have caught many big fish in the winter at night. You gotta keep your bait fresh and in the deeper water, but they bite year round in the right locations has been my experience. We bank fish and set up tarps when we can! :big_smile:

6. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I meant to say I never fish at night in the winter. Sorry.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

THATS TONIGHT!!!!!:eek:oooh: Post a report on here if you can...What body of water are you fishing? Lake or River?

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I agree that there is probably very little difference between night/day in the winter. This winter we are going to try to continue to stay out 3-4 hrs after dark rather than ~1 hr after dark. The last couple weeks we have done this and caught some nice fish. We'll see I guess. Good question though.

9. justaredneck

justaredneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    i would like to try it sometime but here in kansas it is kind of hard to catch catfish with your bait sitting on top of the ice:big_smile:

10. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    We fish Lake Barkley in Western Kentucky. :big_smile:

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

You meant to say your a wimp. LOL

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

I'm a Wimp John, LOL Maybe see you guys in a week or too. It's going to be too warm and wet tonight. lol

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Matt , I have only fished the James last year for blues 2 days..LOL... Wish I could help with your question, but you have forgot more than I have ever known about blues... I will say, I get the itch sometimes in January and have froze my butt off trying to fish for flatheads after dark... But, if you are catching, the weather seems to be a non factor.. Go after em bro! Let us know how it goes!! goodluck! rollo

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I think I camped there when i was younger, is there a "Land between the lakes"..Im pretty sure thats were I was..Man that was a long time ago!!!:big_smile:

15. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Now thats messed up...LMAO:roll_eyes:

16. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes ...we fish in the (Land Between The Lakes) every Tuesday night! :big_smile:

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Growing up with my Dad, I have experienced the ultimate hardcore catfishing.:smile2:
    He was an Airborne Ranger in the Army and was also a carpenter. Those traits passed onto his catfishing.:wink: :smile2:12 months out of the year he went fishin. We fished mostly at Kaw Lake in OK for blues. Either on the lake or below the dam, in a boat. He had 2 days a week to go fishin so once he got there he was fishin and he wouldnt stop until he HAD to leave. We slept on the boat, every night for the most part. We cooked in the boat and everything. Even in the winter.
    One thing that makes a BIG difference is a propane heater.
    As far as the bite goes, it was fairly the same between night and day. However it seemed like the bigger ones came out at night.
    The bite is usually slow and light, so patience is of the essence.
    Horseshoe bends on the old river channel is where we set up camp.
    If you can find a bank spot with access to a bend in old channel, set up camp, put the rods out and make some chilli.:smile2:
    Peace and quiet and you usually have the lake to yourself.
    Safety first!

18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Yeah, A toasty warm wimp. That's me! :big_smile:

19. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    John I'm curious to know how your fishing strategies differ in the winter compared to say spring, summer and fall.

20. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Well Patrick...they do differ very much. As you may know I fish with a group of BOC brothers every tuesday night of the year. In the spring, summer and fall....we fish for Flatheads. We use live Bluegills, the bigger the better. We fish them on the bottom and on floats. We fish at a smaller lake of 370 acres.....long known for its monster Flatheads and channelcats. However as the Flathead action slows and the temps begin to plummet and the lake temp gets below 50 degrees....we switch to our winter time spot. We move to a spot in the river channel on Lake Barkley, that we can hit the deeper water with a good long cast. We now are targeting Big Bluecats! We fish with cut skipjacks and shad and Bluegill heads( my favorite Bluecat Bait)We still fish all night...but now greater preperations have to be made to ensure Warmth...and shelter from the elements. We erect tarps to cover our entire fishing campsite. We enclose our vehichles with the tarps , allowing us access in and out of our vehichles. We leave a door in the tarps to get in and out of and give us a view of our rods at the waters edge. In the spring, summer and fall, we simply just have to catch 2 dozen bluegills and we are ready to fish all night. In the winter, we have much more preperations to make. We target different fish and switch locations and baits as well. We build a big rip-roaring fire away from the bank and away from the tarps. We have a good time as usual...but it is totally different for us in the winter months. If you can ever break away for a tuesday night gathering....we would love to have you come on up and fish with us sometime. Its as much about the fellowship and commeradery as it is about the fishing. But we do love to catch us some big ole fish every now and then.:wink: