Night Time Gill's And Stumpknockers.

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by BIGCAT DADDY 71, Feb 24, 2006.

1. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I Was A Little Kid My Dad, Which Passed On 11 Years Ago, And Missed Every Fishing Trip Since, Showed Me That Panfish Are Active At Night. To This Day I Still Fish Panfish And Cats At Night. We Always Tight Line And Use Blacklights. I Found That In Right Times The Action Is Twice As Good Of That In The Day Time. Day Or Night I Always Tight Line. Only Time I Use Bobber Is In Spring To Crappie Fish , To Get Minnow Close To Their Eggs. Does Anyone Have Any Luck With Panfish At Nighttime? Also I'am Fairly New And Like Too Say Hello To Any Brothers Who Hasnt Seen Me On Here, Great Site. Hope Everyone Has A Great Fishing Season.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    HOWDY BIGCAT DADDY 71

Welcome to the Greatest Brotherhood that like catfish around!!!

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    an old man showed me how to get them after dark a long time ago. we would vertically jig around any type of structure (rocks, brick, concrete, brush etc.) with a small hook and waxworm with one small bb split shot and would feel for them biting the bait. he also told me a small piece of bacon works best for them at night because of all the odor it releases.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The few times Ive fished for and caught gills at night I was using minnows around lillypads. Everyone was bigger than my hand and had to weigh a pound a piece.

5. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I never nite fished for bluegill.It'll give something to do when the cat's ain't bitin'

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I am going to have to try that!

7. therena

therena New Member

State:
    NM
    Welcome BIGCAT DADDY 71. :) :001: :0a18: :0a25:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Funny you should ask.I discovered they were very active at night when I used to flyfish for them on the base lakes at Ft.Hood Texas.By the time I would get off work it would be almost dark and I would stop and breakout the flyrod and work them over until 11pm or so and they were still biting when I left.Flash forward to 2001 and I'm fishing for white perch with a famous Santee guide,to use for bait.I asked him if the WP bit at night and he categorically said absolutely not.I go out with another guide for flatheads and he fishes for WP all night and catches then steadily all night long often changing baits as he catches them.So yes in my experience,brim WP and Shellcrackers bite well at night and it does give you something to do between BIG BITES.;) :p :cool: :)

9. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Never really thought about it or tried for bluegill at night but will definately give it a shot. The thread did bring up something from back when i fished with treble hooks and liver. When small fish just nibbled on the liver i would cast somewhere else to get away from the bluegills. Funny i never made the connection. Thanks for the great posts.

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I never tried them at night either. Sounds a lot better than a day trip when the temperature is around 100 F.

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

ST

11. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I think I will have to give this a try also, I don't much like the heat of the day in the peak of summer anymore.