Night-time Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CamFish3210, Jul 30, 2006.

1. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i go fishing at night at a lake in my town (mainly because its been so hot during he day haha.) i use live perch a lot, all ive gotten off it was a 5 lbs or so blue, a couple of channels almost the same size, a gar or two, and last night i caught a huge drum, maybe about 6-8 lbs. i cant seem to catch a flahead though....

i was wondering if maybe someone had some tips for fishing these at night, like whether its better to cast near the bank, or just try to find a hole or channel. or maybe theres a better time at night, like right when it gets dark or maybe 3 or 4 or so in the morning. anyone have any good tips?

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I'd fish shallow and relatively close to the brushpiles, that they hide in during the day. If you have a boat, move to different locations frequently if there's been no hits. Everybody's time varies somewhat, but mine is 45 minutes to an hour. And the absolute best locations,(in my opinion anyways) is where there's a major brushpile in a deep hole, next to a shallow flat, where the baitfish are congregated. During the day, fish the hole with the brush. During the night, fish the shallows with the baitfish. That's almost to guarantee a few if not more, flatties. Hope this helps. Goodluck.

-Red

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with Redd.. i would fish heavy cover day or night, but really focus on the areas that contain the most baitfish... And you say you fishing a lake ..right?.. If you know where there is some structers at try fishing them also.... just be wary of any snags..... Good Luck.

4. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for the advice so far....i fish off of a bridge low to the water and the water is on average 4-7 feet deep with a couple of channels and holes people claimed theyve found....i figure they could be under the bridge at times but i dont want to drop my bait just straight down, i could lose a pole that way or it could run me under the bridge....ive tried a balloon rig, if bottom-fishing hasnt done me any good, so my bait would float to different areas in case theyre sitting still, the balloon could float it right in front of it....as for the banks, theres brush and thats where i catch my perch but they never bite at night....hiding i guess. i fished around the bank last night and caught my huge drum so i think it could be a good idea for flatheads too.

i suppose ill go out tonite and try a few different ideas

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just keep using diffenent techniques till you find the right one.... if you have to log the time, bait used, water temp, ect. I would recommend it till you can get the fish biting on a know how basis..... i sometimes do this at different spots on the white river... i know they are there just a matter of time till they wanna bite.... keep me posted. i would like to know how it turned out for ya.. good luck

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i like to get my bait right before dark and fish all night long and into the morning. if u cant do that i would get your bait the day before keep it alive some how stock tank ect. and would go to bed very early and get up around midnight and head out i have had much success from 2 am to a little after morning. i read some where in a magazine talking about flatheads that hadnt found a meal will be pretty agressive right around daybrake trying to get a meal in before they head back to cover to lay up in.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Definatley just keep trying, like a previous poster replied, I myself don't stick in the same spot for to long. Here its easier to follow the weather patterns, knowing full well that come spring when the water temp raises, it won't be long before they are feeding hard and looking for spawning sites on the bank, at those times, atleast in large lakes, we usually get them with slip floats and live bait along the banks. I am primarily a river fisher though, so usually we are following the bait fish, and find them sooner or later. I would imagine its stays fairly warm there in TX, so that would have me all confused. Although it would be great to fish for Flats more of the year.:roll_eyes:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fish mainly all slip-floats. try to place your baits close to the creek channel that runs through the lake.. anywhere the channel swings in towards a point, or a cove, these seem to be productive spots.. if you can associate any of these spots with structure, thats even better. i have found on the lakes i have fished, they seem to hit either right after dark, or not until late, like an hour or two before daylight...when the darkness just starts to break and you start hearing the birds chirp watch your poles!!!!! lol. goodluck...rollo

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Key in on that bait. Why do you think they don't bite at night? Cause they are afraid they'll be eaten. Try close to shore. Feeding flathead can hunt and pin their prey in a foot of water.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you take anything from this thread, fish on the bank. I don't care if its only 1ft deep. If you have the kinds of structure and features that the previous guys mentioned, close to the bank, you have to cast a couple baits on the bank then pull them a foot into the water lol. They won't be everywhere around the lake, but if you put in a few weeks at key spots, you should be rewarded.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    another idea to bankfishing... if you are fishing an area and the creek channel doesn't swing close enough to get a bait to, don't be affraid to run your lines using the boat and placing them accordingly before dark.. this is an effective way to get baits where needed and to intercept some of these channel moving flats around prime-time...goodluck..rollo

12. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Your getting some really good advice about where to look and how to fish the lake. But heres my first thought it being a lake has anybody caught or seen a flathead from this lake. Not to be smart A$$ but some lakes don't have flatheads in them unless they are feed with streams that have them or someone has introduced them to it. Just a thought if there have been some caught then by all means follow the advice these guys are giving it's GOOD advice.
    Loop