Night time blue catfish at night in the cold of winter??

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by JoshFisher, Jan 1, 2010.

1. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    hey yall so my job works me 6pm to 6 am and were workin most days of the week but every once in a while we'll get a night off.. i was wonderin if anyone goes for blue's at night even with it bein as cold as it is. about 15-20 outside the water should still be in the 40's i think.... but i was just wonderin if its gonna be productive or not??

appreciate the feedback

2. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I promise you this,it will be COLD!!!! But good question.

3. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    There productive around here at night if you can stand the cold. We use pontoons with enclosures and heat.

4. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    hey i appreciate the feedback, ya the cold isnt to much of a problem for me cause i work out on the flight line every night and theyve issued me carharts, beanies, long johns, water/windproof gloves, wool socks a couple pairs of overalls... and the list goes on and on lol... well i imagine ill head out and see if i can round up some shad then...

yall keep warm :wink:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well ,I'd guess from the title night time blues might be caught at ..... night??:wink: might be very chilly this time of year for sure.:smile2:

6. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    ya haha is anythin different about catching shad??

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i've had productive night trips this time of the year, and trips to where the bite would start up real good right at dark we would just stay and fish, but now i haven't stayed out real late or early morning hours, as far as the shad goes, i can truthfully say i've never thrown a throw net this time of year passed dark, proly the same

8. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    If you can stand the cold it workes great. hear is MS try to find deep water in a eddy and the blues will school up. if you find them you will have a ball. the colder it gets up north the better. the way it looks today with the cold they have the fishing will be great next week.

9. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma

thx for the tips, we all know you like that dec 26th fishing :roll_eyes:
    went out last night but sat at the ramp for 2 hours tryin to get the boat started. i was pretty beat down about it last night but after some sleep the sting went a way and im ready to figure out wats wrong with it so hopefully ill be back out there soon...:wink:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Chili today... hot tamale... fish (blues, channels, flatties) bite 24 hours a day.

BB in SC

11. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Biggest thing is keeping your hands and feet warm. I use a pair of water "resistant" nyoprene gloves for the cast net, and a pair of rubber boots, then switch to wool gloves and regular boots for fishing. Once you get past catching bait, it isn't really bad if the wind is light. You must be careful when hooking bait, shaking hands that don't seem to move like your mind is telling them to because of the cold, makes it easy to stick a hook through your finger. One quality fish makes it all worth it and will keep you warm for several hours. Wear your life jacket also, falling overboard in 40 deg water is deadly in a few minutes. Make sure you can start a fire quickly. You won't have enough time to get to the truck and get it warm before you may be dead. Good luck and be careful, they will bite well in the cold night if when you find them.

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Here is all the proof you need that they bite at night. 44# and 33# the night of Dec 17th, and a 50# the night of Nov 25th which was caught just shortly after I caught the 66# in my avatar right at sundown.

All caught SHALLOW! They still come shallow at night to feed in the winter. I'm talking 5-10'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010