Night photos

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jconna, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    After what happened to me this past weekend with the pictures, I've been thinking alot about how to guarantee myself some good photos at night.

I came up with an idea and figured I'd share: Maybe it will help someone else if they've been having trouble coming up with an idea for the same thing. I currently use a converter on my boat to power an aerator and a little portable radio. I need to check the draw to make sure my converter will handle it, but I came up with the idea of picking up a reading light (the ones that clamp to your headboard.) I may need to experiment with wattage to get the right amount of light but I think it would work great! If a fish is pulled in worth a photo, you simply clamp the light onto the side of the boat and direct it at the location long enough to get a few nice photos. Then back into storage and out of the way until the next one. Problem solved.....

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Have you tried this yet?? My experience with adding light is that the camera will read it and turn down the amount of flash you will recieve from the camera and you will still get the same exposure as before.

The best way that I have found to get better photos at night is to get as close to your subject as possible and have a back drop for the flash to reflect off of to get a better bounce from your flash thus a better exposure.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    when i crapy fished i made my fishing lights out of thoes cheap clamp on lights you know the ones with the shiney alumanum cover put battery clips on ends whear plug is go to auto shop get a 12 volt bulb you can get a 60 wat bulb works great i think it will for pics to

4. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    This theory is untested at this point Kevin but I was hoping to put it to the test this weekend....My thinking was that it would provide more light on the subject than a flash would, and thus...I would get a better picture. I can see your point though and maybe the post was a little premature? Thought I was onto something.....I'll give it a try both ways this weekend so that I can get a good comparison. Thanks for the input....You also Dallas1. If not for pics, that sounds like a really good idea just to light the boat up a little if needed.

5. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I dont think you need aditional light if you have a desent camera with a good flash. My cannon power shot takes pretty good pics at night no aditional light needed. I dont remember ever haveing an issue with the disposables with a flash I used to use

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Sorry if your pictures didn't turn out. That sucks.
    Now that I have one, I generally have a digital camera with me. The veiw feature will let you see how the pictures turned out immediately after taking them. Then get home and transfer to PC for storage or printing.
    Aiming can be a bit tricky in very low light. I use the camera alot and getting film developed would be way too exspensive.

7. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm not sure what happened to mine? It's not like they were just underexposed or something...It's like they were never taken at all. The ones from Hershey Park turned out great and nothing at all since that date. Maybe heat or something? I have no idea? I just know that I won't trust one again for something as important as that for me. It seems to be the consensus so far that there's no need for lights when you have a decent flash so I'll trust that. If that's all everyone else is using with looking at the quality of some of the night photos I've seen, then it works for me. Call me stubborn though...I'll probably still give it a try just to justify the thread :look_down:

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jeff - I fish alone a lot at night so what I normally do is put the camera on a tripod and use a light to set up the camera where it will be aiming and shooting using the timer mode. I then pick up fish, turn off light, push the button and let the camera do its thing. Most times the pics work good. I usually check and if I'm not happy I take another one! :big_smile:

9. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    If your using a digital camera and the picture doesn't come out as well as you would like you can edit it with any photo editing program. Most programs have an auto enhance now and they do the trick. If not adjust your gamma until the picture is more pleasant to your eye.

10. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Don't know what camera you were using but my digital has a setting you can gp to for night photos.
    I say if it ias a digital you should play with it at home in the dark and see what you can come up with.

11. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    just takes a little time and effort to get the photos right or to edit them and fix them to make them better.

just like your avatar Jeff. Here ya go...

12. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Hey....Thanks for the advice and fixing up my avatar Kevin. That looks alot better!