Night out on the Hocking River

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Catmanblues, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Well I made it out to the Hocking River tonight. Got a call from a BOC brother (SlimDaddy) an decided we would try our luck. Took my son along also. The day/night was a bit slow all tho there were some off an on bites.
    Decided to changed baits from livers to a nice size creek chub on one of my poles. Within 15 to 20 minutes the bite was on an I reared back with a jerk. Fish on felt pretty good an the rod was bent down
    . Sometime while I was reeling em in I was saying I don't think it know's the hook is in. Had em about 15 feet from the bank an wouldn't you know it he came unhooked. That smarted somewhat.
    Around 10 pm my son hollared fish on an pulled in a four an a half pound channel weighed with slimdaddys scales. Before we weighed it I lost one three nights ago in this spot an wouldn't you know it that the hook an swivel was still in this fishes mouth. Go my swivel back anyways an released fish lively as can be no harm done there.
    Slimdaddy had several bite but nothing real consistant, however he did have a pretty nice run on a bluegill as it rolled line off the spool an then just dropped it. Was hoping so much he would tie into one but it never happened.
    Around 10:30 on my other pole I had liver baited up an the rod started to bend. I reared back on it an the fight was on in the semi currents. I could tell it had some weight to it an the drag started to spool off. While reeling it in something jumped out of the water sorta in front of me an I was thinking now how did this fish get there when I am fighting it to the left of me! Needless to say the fish I had on had to of spook something fairly big near us as the one I had on the hook rolled to the top of the water. I reeled this thing in an to our surprise it was a
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Quillback weighing in at six an a half pounds. Slimdaddy has a pic he will post of the quillback. Was a night of slow fishing but got to talk with slimdaddy quite a bit an relaxed an enjoy the evening.
    [/FONT]

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    after looking this fish up i think its a smallmouth buffalo sucker here a pic the quillback looks like its silver colored

Attached Files:

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Just not totally sure Keith. I looked up the high back an it resembles to it also but the quillback is awful close also. Either an or it was a fish thats for sure an no turtles lol,, Thxs for coming out an fishing with me last night!

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    not a problem had a good time even tho i didnt hook anything but when i do hook up its gonna be a monster:smile2::smile2: the quillbacks fin is alot higher on the pic i looked but anyway it was some kind of sucker:smile2: