Night or Day?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by 7mmmag1, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, do you guys like fishing in the dark, early morning or in the middle of the day? I am getting more into catfishing than before, although I have catfished for almost my entire life. Bass fishing is getting a little boring, and the sandbass havent been on the surface as much lately. Its time for me to catch something worth taking a picture of. I usually go out in the mornings, but lately it hasnt been producing like it should. I have caught a few cats after dark, but if I'm on a big lake its still usually too rough from pleasure boats. It seems like I can catch a few in the middle of the day too

Which is best usually?​

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I like to fish during the night. But its mostly cause its 100+ here. But even when it cools off I like night fishing better.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Pretty good first post. LOL! Welcome! My river produces channels at all times. I prefer dawn till I'm tired. :wink:

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like to from 2 hours before dark all through the night until about 11 am the next day. That was has been pretty productive for me. Welcome to the BOC!

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went this past weekend and caught all channel cats late evening..I caught 12 fish..10 while the sun was up and 2 when it got dark..3 hrs of daylight fishing and 3 hrs of night time fishing..When the sun went down it was like a light switch and bedtime for them cats..

6. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i prefer the night i believe thats when most cats prowl​

7. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I'd much rather fish at night.

8. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like its time to get a headlamp and some caffeine! I'll give it a shot this weekend and let ya know how it works out (assuming it quits raining)

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like going anytime i can get out morning noon or night.

10. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I ues to only catfish at night but since I found the BOC I have started cat fishing during the day as well sometimes and do well during the day too. Welcome to the BOC!

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've caught them during the day but just prefer fishing at nite, i like to get to a spot about an hour before dark and stay til 3-4am

12. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to get out early mornings and that lets me snuggle up close to Sweet Pea at nights:eek:oooh::wink: Stay safe and good fishing whenever you get out!!!:wink:

13. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I am just trying everything right now to see what works where. I always try to stay positive and up beat to find the winning combo. I like most about a hour before dark into the am hours.

14. monsterstalker

monsterstalker New Member

State:
    NC
    I've fished for bass, trout, and panfish most of my life, I've only caught a few channel catfish, all about a foot or so in length. All have been in the daytime and were accidental catches when I was fishing for other species, or just anything that would bite. I have tried fishing for catfish with chicken livers, night crawlers or prepared baits, but didn't catch anything when I was trying, both in the day and late evening, to just after sunset, but of those I have caught, one was on a night crawler, one a spinner, and one bread, all during the day. I am wanting to catch catfish more consistently, and really want to try during the day, I thought that might not be possible, but because many here seem to do well in the day I will try for cats more exclusively for awhile.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  15. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Evenings till around 4 am are primetimes for me..

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I only go at night in the summer and it has been very productive. I start around 9:00 pm and go till 4 or 5:00 am. Somewhere in that time frame there will be about an hour window when they really turn on. The rest the time im jus enjoying the stars, water, and the chirpping crickets.

17. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Weather has a lot to do with it when deceiding to fish at night or night. I'm a firm believer in that barometric pressure change both in fishing and hunting. If the pressure is rising, forget it as it usually is symbolic for a storm coming. If it is dropping the fish will tend to go about their normal rountine eating habits.

Here is a useful link to such info
    http://www.quickoneplus.com/fish/articles/page.asp?page=barometric