Night or Day ... Which is better

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Krauseb, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've been Catfishing at night and during the day. Everyone tells me that the best time to get the cats is at night, but all I catch at night are Drum fish. I have caught a couple cats during the day, mostly around noon time. Normally I go out from 9:00 am to about 1:00pm on the weekends and I haven't had much success there either.

I guess my question is this, since I'm new and having troubles getting anything at any time, I was wondering when the rest of you guys/gals have had the best results. I'm mainly talking about shore fishing since that is primarily what I do.

Thanks for any insight you can share,
    BK

2. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I usually have the most bites the hour before sundown until an hour after. Then the action tends to slow, but they still bite a little. A lake I used to fish in Texas would be good until about 10:00 a.m., stop completely, and then start again around 4:00 p.m.. This was in the middle of summer. I know it can be frustrating sometimes, going out, spending time and money and then coming back empty handed, but hang in there. You never know what's going to happen next! I always take a light weight pole with worms for panfish or what ever happens to be hungry. It keeps the boredom away. Also, I try to remember that I'm not at home and I'm not at work, so I must be having fun!

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Depends on the body of water your fishing, for instance if your fishing a lake I personnaly have had more luck and caught more cats at night in any where from 3-20 ft of water close to the shoreline. On rivers taht flow one direction I catch most my cats in the day by log jams that have holes next to them. On rivers that have a tide and flow both directions I catch more at night casting out as far as I can no matter what the depth. But thats just me. I would try it though and see what happens

4. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish a small lake (150 acres). Consistently, the best time is a half hour before daylight until 2 hours after sunrise, fishing the shady side after sunrise. I catch fish at other times, although 10 am until 4 pm is my least productive. I think each lake has it own hours and you just have to fish the lake to learn the times and places to fish.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I fish in the daytime, the cats are there u just got to use the right bait.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like to fish during the day in the colder months and at night during the hottest months. I don't think it really matters as much as people use to think though. I remember my dad would only go at night and that had me wondering now if it was to get us and him out of the house so mom could have some "her" time.

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    For me the flats bite much better at night. The channels bite anytime. Might just be where I fish.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id have to agree with Doug late afternoon early mourning dusk & dawn.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I do best between 9 am and 3 pm in the summer, an hour earlier each way in the winter.

10. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Targeting blues and channels on a lake ... I have not night fished for years. Nothing against it, just no need to fight the skitters and such since the early morning and late after bite tends to produce. Assuming I'm fishing in good catfish water, daylight to 10'ish and then the last couple hours of daylight tend to be the best for me.
    But IMO, time of day is not that high on the list of importance. If you are fishing with the bait they want that day and put it in the right location ... hang on.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    For flatheads, I prefer anytime from sundown to sun up.

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Hey,Keep it down guy's,My wife think's catfishing is done mostley at NIGHT and we are going to keep her thinking that RIGHT!!!LMAO Just kiding yall ...We all know it's all in the bait to a point---Iv never got a thing in the Heat of the day Morning and Night is my time........With lot's of fresh shad..

Attached Files:

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I done well fishing both day and night. I prefer night during the spring, summer and fall and also day during the winter for temperture sakes on my body. During the winter time the hours between 3 and 5pm have been my big blue catching times.

14. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Night time is much better here for flathead, I catch channelcats just as good during the day though. But I am sure you can catch them better at night too

15. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I catch more at night. But fish in the day also.

16. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Flatheads - Hours of darkness
    Channels & Blues - 24/7

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv caught my personel bests all at night , but this time of year is to cold for me to endure so il be fishing during the day and hoping for the best

18. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    everywhere i go, they bite better at night, plus i like it at night because it ain't so hot nor is the sun beating down on your