Night or Day channel catfishing.. ??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by villaitefla, Oct 4, 2006.

1. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    What's the groups take on fishing daylight hours for Channel catfish? One of the lakes I fish is in a park, and the park shuts early .... :angry: Do you think it's worth fishing during a blue-skied sunny and warm Orlando day??
    There is supposed to be a good head of Channels in there, but as yet I haven't found any, and I'm wondering if it's because I have to fish in the day ... or ..... I'm doing something wrong !!!! :smile2: or ..... maybe I should wait until we have a grey old rainy day and see what that brings ??

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have caught the most channels right at sun up, and right at sunset, but they can be caught all day and all night. The bite is usually better when there is some sort of adverse weather. Some days they are just not hungry I guess.

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Right around Dusk and right around Dawn are the best times for me.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I seem to catch channels day or night.. i have never really targeted them but it never really seems to hard to find them...

5. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    There is usually a feeding period about an hour before to an hour after sun up, and an hour before to an hour after sun down. Not sure why they bite then and then stop but its always worked for me. I've also read from two other cat pros that 3 am is when you catch the most and biggest fish, never tried it though. Although catfish can be caught at any time of the day and especially at night, but day fishing has its advantages when fishing an unfamiliar location. The fish in my avatar was caught after Church on a hot summer day haha so really if their hungry they'll bite anything.

6. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    I've had my best luck between 6:00 and 8:00am and then an hour after sunset through 2:00 to 3:00am

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I agree with Breck - those are the best times for me as well.

Another good time for me is during an overcast skys. :big_smile:
    :confident:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Wow Terry I did not know you were aboared. Nice to see you.

Hey Bert how you been? Hope all is well.

As far as the day or night thing I have done well on both. It just depends on if you are in the right place at the right time.

9. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    from about 9 at night to midnight and 5 in the morning to about 9 always is good for me

10. new to fishing

new to fishing New Member

State:
    north carolina
    for me it changes but most often it is after 6pm until 7or 8 in the morning

11. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    The absolute best time for me to catch channel catfish is whenever I get to go fishing. Early, late, or mid-day.

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    It would seem i catch more channels early in the day. They certainly seem to be actively feedin just before and soon after the sun rises. Some of my personal best channels have been caught from a boat thowing various lures to the shoreline, chasin other species.

cyas
    rc

13. Patton

Patton New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    i always have the most luck at dawn or at night

14. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    HEY IM WITH catfishtonyd, ANY TIME I CAN GO IS THE BEST
    TIME TO CATCHUM. THE RIVER I FISH IN EASTERN OK. IS GRAVEL BOTTOM, SHOLLOW FOR ABOUT 1/2 MILE AND THEN DROPS INTO A GOOD HOLE.
    LOTS OF GOOD HOLES, CHANNEL CAT BITE BOUT ANY TIME ON
    MINOWS, & CRAWS. OK I'VE TALKED MY SELF IN TO GOIN. SEE YA

15. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i usually try to setup around 8:00 pm and fish till 8:00 am if possible.i usually catch more fish from 8 till midnight then hits a dead period for a couple of hours.i usually catch the bigger fish around the 4 or 5 am.

16. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I mostly fish at night! Not that the fishing is any better but the boat crowd is a lot better!!!:cool2:

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey man you might have better luck fishing that lake before a storm when it is real cloudy. I do best on day only lakes when it is heavily overcast. And if ya have a creek or stream that enters the lake and rises when it rains you mite want to set up there before a storm cause the catfish know the rains coming before we do. And jocky for best feeding spots as the water rises. Good luck