Night on the Ohio 8-22-09

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by RSVBill, Aug 30, 2009.

1. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well got the bar closed at 9pm. had my mother-in-laws sister catch a batch of blue gill and met me at the dock. Off we go. night started out super slow, then about 1am decided to drift some new areas. When almost giving up decided to reel one in and let it get under a barge when i realize it had a fish on ????? No Bite or at least didnt nothice any movement had a 10lbs flatty sitting there being quiet laying waiting for some more food i guess. Brought him in and got the pictures , ( later to come ) then as we drifted one pole doubles over and I mean Doubles over kinda like when you are trolling and snag something makes the "oh shit" factor come into play got ahold of the pole and attempted to set the hook..... as I pull up I realize I need to give it slack or set the drag..... as me and the pole both head towards the water the pole gently smackes the side of the boat and then nothingness. 65 lbs Spider wire is broken. :-(

that alone was enouhg to make you fish the rest of the night with out a bite, but the girls were cold and ready to go.
    maybe next time I will have the drag set a bit better.

thats my report for saturday night ,
    good fishing
    Bill

2. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had the same thing happen to me this evening with 65# power pro, i almost had the fish to the boat though and he was a good one i yelled a few choice words so loud birds flew out of the trees on the other side of the river.

3. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    50# mono wouldnt have done that ... thats why i dont like braid

4. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    True,very true Big Cat 45pound solar green.Very good line and strong

5. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If it were not for the ladies on my boat and one being only 15 i am sure i would have had some tantric as some have read from my past lol...

hard to keep my mouth shut at time but it can be done.

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hard to beat berkleys big game line