Night on Saluda lake

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by flatheadsalyer1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Got there about 7:30 lastnight to finally give her a try. Trolled around for a while just checking out depths, and to my surprise it was an average depth of 8 to 15 feet. Marked a lot of good structure and decided to anchor up and let her rip!! Bait of choice was cut bream. Got lines in the water around 8:15 pm. By 8:45 already 9 channels 2 to 4 lbs in the boat. Decided to try another piece of structure I had marked up near hwy 183 bridge, this would turn out to be a good move. I fished on this structure for about 3 hours and caught 3 flatties 9#, 13.5#, and 14.2#. The channels were on fire. Caught a total 27 channels all in the 2 to 5 lb range.
    Unable to boat any monsters, but with the results of last night there has to be some big fish in there. I was very impressed with the bite, and I will return there again soon in search of the bigger fish.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    One of these days I would like to see the lake. I've only fished a few spots on the river so far.

Sounds like a great trip you had, that's a lot of nice cats...congrats.

-Jim-

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Congrats of catching something. Its usually nice to try some place different.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks for the report, Steve, and congrats and your catch! What ramp did you launch from, and how does one get there?

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Pat there is only one public ramp on the lake and it is on motor boat club rd off white horse rd in greenville. the cove the ramp is in is very shallow and getting out of it is a chore at times. if you go toward the dam the water gets deeper. around 30 to 35 ft. the lakes has an abundant supply of gizzard shad in it along with small crappie and perch. no cast nets are alowwed on the lake as it is above the southern r.r. and they do boat checks if they come up. there used to be a warden that lived on the lake that kept a close eye on it but havent been up there except to unload boat and work on boat trailor.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks a bunch, Ronald!! Think I'll take my sabiki, catch a few perch, and see what I can get into :smile2:

7. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the update Steve. Glad you had a good trip. 2-5 lbers are abundant on that lake, but I still have never personally hooked any monsters out there. Great place to fish if you want a bunch of eating sized fish.

Pat the sabiki rig works great for catching small bream and blue gill right at the dock in the shallow waters. It only cost $2 to fish from the bank and $5 for boats.

8. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OBTW if your interested in finding the deeper spots on Saluda lake Wal-Mart had maps for it. There are some areas that are 30-35 feet deep. The thing you have to really be careful of on this lake is when you launch if you go to the right up into the river that area can get really shallow with all the sand flowing from down river , but if you go to the left into the lake then you shouldnt have any problems with depth once you are out of the No Wake Zone.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is an excellent fishing trip and a sign that things are starting to turn to normal after the spawn, Congrats and keep us posted on future trips