Night Lighting Options

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salmonid, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just curious what everyones preferences were regarding the use of 'Light" when out fishing.I know when we shore fish late at night, some of the gang doesnt like using any lights at all ( Draws attention) while I feel helpless in that case and Like to at least use a head lamp. Sometimes I carry a large Tent Light, it has a wide adjustable beam and sometimes I use it just enough to light up the tips of the rods. ( Batteries and weight make this not very popular with my muscles and wallet.)

Latterns, are heavy,
    Large Flashlights are heavy and have a small area they illuminate.
    Fires we stay away from as the local watershed area prohibits them and its too hot usually and they dray a lot of attention. Not to mention if ones Mentor has bad gas, he might explode...:eek:

Anyone have a lightweight solution that will brighten an area for a long time?

Salmonid

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i really dont like starting a fire when i,m near my vehicle or where i dont want others knowing im at, it does draw unwanted attention. only time we get a fire goin is if were in a secluded spot, if its gonna be a little chilly or one of us remembered to bring the hotdogs:) if your fishing near bank or in shallow water you dont want any light anyway. spooks the fish. after years of nightfishing ive learned to do without a light, can tie a hook and thread a bead with no light or moon out, just hold up to the sky and you have all the light you need. i do carry a small rechargeable flashlight, and on my boats i have the million candlepower spotlights when needed. as far as watching your rod-tips, go to the dollar store(dollar tree) and you can pick up those lightstick really cheap (15 for $1 !). just tape 'em to your tip. i use them all the time.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The newer LED lights are much cheaper to use, There great. Not heavy last for weeks. I even use them at home, I don't think I own any of the old style lights anymore except the 12 vold ones on my boat

Danny

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I carry several l.e.d. flashlites small ones, I try to prop one up so it is shining at my rod tips, I use another for baiting hooks netting fish.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use the light sticks for my rod tips and a light called cat eyes that clips to my hat. But I do keep a flashlight for back up.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just use one of them LED headlights when I actually need to see what I’m doing. Other then that I don't have a light on. When I'm moving from spot to spot in the boat I use a spot light to make sure I position myself right in accordance to the structure I’m fishing.

7. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    When I'm fishing here what i do for light:

• I build a fire
    • use 3 latterns
    • have a couple flash lites ready

and it still seems to be dark. I can't stand to be looking for something and not have enough lite.

I don't think it does anything to the fish. I also have a real light weight pole in the waters for bluegill, crappie, and bass. This has one of those lited jingling bobers. If anything I thin it draws in bait fish for bass and crappie.

JMO

to each thier own!

Josh

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have a led head lamp, and a led lit tackel box called a "night ranger" and a large supply of light sticks for my rods. That takes care of most of my night fishing needs. I also carry with me a wind-up flashlight that never needs batteries and several coleman lanterns if I am setting up camp. There is a coleman rechargable lantern that comes with a roll up solar panel chrger, car charger and a 110 charger that I plan to add for inside my tent!

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I really don't like a light that shines on the water, so like most of you guys I just use a LED head light and a large MAG light.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use a clip-on LED light. In the boat, I also have 12v spotlights; on the bank, I like an old-fashioned oil lamp or tiki torch set back from the edge of the water.

11. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    In the past I have used a latern or two but this year I think I am going to try to avoid using them all together. I hate the bugs they attract and a lot of the spots I go to I have to climb down big rocks so they least I have to carry the better.

I think I'm going to buy a headlamp and use some of those glowsticks for the tips of my rods.

What are some good headlamps? I was looking at a Browning 5 LED for $30.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i found a really neat headlight this year over at walmart... $12 and its got 3 LEDS... 2 white and one Red... Red is for night vision when i don't want too much light and the whites are for walking the trails... i also tend to carry my 2d maglight w/ me in my pocket and mini mag w/ me for looking at things across the lake... helps me out w/ knowing no one is watching me...

for seeing my rods, usually i don't... i let the reels do the talking since i use clickers for my baitcasters... when i fish spinning, i tend to be really close to the rod and looking up at it against the sky so i can see it move and/or i hear the drag take off in some cases (i fish UL alot so the drag is relatively light)

I have used the glow sticks, bought a bunch of 1.5 inchers from the old site for under $.10 each... and use those sometimes too, but i have a problem with attaching them so that they don't slide or twist in my line when i cast sometimes (more so with the 8 inch Bracelet ones rather then the 1.5 inchers...) the best colors are Green and Orange though i seem to keep getting oranges that don't work (snap them and they don't light up) but what can you do...

13. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i just turn the lights on in my boat

14. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Guys;

If you want to heck out some products that solves the problem,

Just send me a PM an I can give you some great information

Gene:)

15. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Yeah what I was mainly concerned about was if the headlamp will be bright enough for lighting up the trails. But, if I can spend less than the $30 for that Browning I was looking at, I would like that.

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I've got two 1950's bolt on yellow parking lights mounted on a 6 inch piece of plastic pipe and a twelve volt deep cell battery in the back of my truck. They will light up a good space. I lsit it on the back of my topper.

17. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    The headlights from Wal-mart work fine. We use them for walking to the duck blinds and putting out decoys. Plenty of light!

18. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i usually never use a light, i find i catch more fish without, it must spook them or something. when im camping i use a small portable propane lantern with those little disposable tanks.
    but the best tool for the job i think is mag light. one night i was fishing on the creek and a beaver got pretty close to us and came up on bank and every thing, he never attacked but i was glad i had 20 inch mag/steel pipe.
    plus theyre water proof.

19. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    or you could try glow sticks.

20. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Before I had a boat and use to bank fish, I often used a lantern or two and sometimes built a fire. It never seemed to effect the fishing, although I remember one time that I cast a moving shadow in the water in front of me and a "hog" made a swirl and took out like it was shot. Now that I fish mostly out of a boat, I usually only use a running light. The reason is, it has to be on anyway and it doesn't use enough juice to effect my battery power. I have tried lanterns in the boat at times, but they are too bright for a small area and the fuel makes for another unwanted fire hazard. I usually fish 20feet plus of water so I don't think that a bright light would have an effect either way, especially in muddy water. Vern