Night Kayaking

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I decided to do a little after dark Yak fishing last night (first time). Decided to just go over to Leavenworth co. lake and try for Walleyes and channel. The lake was like glass and there were only a couple of other boats out. Man it was nice gliding across that glass smooth lake.
    On about my third cast I tied into a real hog. As you guessed this is a one that got away story and I am still kicking myself for it. I was throwing a jig with a night crawler hooked once and using 10lb test on a 6 1/2 foot rod and had the boat anchored in 17 foot of water. What ever it was stayed deep and just would not give up. To tell the truth it fought like a Flathead but I am thinking it was a big wiper. I had him on for about 15 minutes and he was almost to the boat when the hook just pulled out. It did not strighten just pulled out and I never saw the fish. Man I hate when that happens. If I had at least seen it I would feel better...well maybe...lol.
    Caught a small bass, small channel and one tiny Walleye after that and then there was a storm moving in from the north. Lots of lighting so I packed it in. Sure would be nice to at least know what I tied into but at least it was nice being on the water.

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Too bad you didn't get to see him. I love kayak fishing at dusk into dark. The wind usually dies down and the bite starts picking up. I was planning on going saterday night and I loaded up my truck and then it wouldn't start.:angry: Got my truck working again and was going again sunday night, and shut my truck off to open the gate to the pond, when I got back in my truck wouldn't start again.:angry: I didn't get to do any fishing last weekend.

3. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Do not get tempted to use a treble hook those bad boys hurk and the the back man o man. Have you ever tried stink bait on a circle hook with a sping on it (you must add) you might have better luck and the fish will hold with out you throwing out your arm trying to set the hook..
    Out here in Tex we got gators and mocs in the water and I avoid any unnecessary risks

4. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    its not so bad if it wasnt for the big one that got away i might have to tell peolpe what i actually landed :smile2:

5. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Alan thats too bad about the one that got away. :sad2: I kind of doubt anyone being a fisherman and not having one of those stories.

By the way was the aeration system running on the lake. Last year later in the season it had quit running. I haven't been there yet this year but am planning on checking the feeders out one of these days.

Now after your posting I'll sure have that fish in mind whenever I do get over there. :wink:

6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
  7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Nice to hear you had a good trip. Kayak fishing is a bunch of fun, it is surprising your anchor held. best of luck to you next time.