Night Fog

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by orion_xxvx, Apr 23, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    It can make navigation on water a nitemare. Is there any particular light setup anyone has used that is better than others? I saw this one boat one night that had this green light that seems to really light up the water.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When there is a mist or light fog on the water, the only thing I have found is lot's of candlepower. I have a 120 volt Generator on mine and 7--- 500 watt quartz lights that I can use. It is the only way to spot jugs at night when there is a lot of fog. My gen is 3000 watts so I can at the most have 6 running. Most of the time when I'm jugging, I'll run 5 lights + my boat running lights.

I know some people will start griping about my boat, but none of them fish where I fish, so the heck with them. lol

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Sounds like You have it figured out Jim. I know there were 2 times I was fogged in while night fishing the Missouri River and had to wait till morning before the fog burned off,I couldn't even see the bow of My 18ft. Lund let alone get back to the ramp. I wish I had some of them lights those times. J.D.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Only problem with runnin with a big green lite on is that oncomein boats may pass ya on the wrong side.:wink:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found that less light is better when there is fog. I have learned how to watch the tree tops on my river and navigate by using landmarks I can visibly see in the dark and fog to know my whereabouts. I carry a 10 million candlepower searchlight aboard, but when it gets really foggy it only makes me dumber:smile2: rollo

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When you are working some jugs, light around the boat is good. When it's messed up, super foggy, you won't see those tree tops. lol I won't see much either.

My lights are on the edges of my boat, and can be turned down or up as need be, with a misty fog on the water, about 2-3 foot deep, my lights will let me see those hidden jugs. Plus it is nice to see 75 foot around the boat when running jugs. Light is good. lol

I have 4---500 watt quartz's on the front, on two circuits. When it's real bad, 2000 watts of light, will darn near blind you. You have to adjust them just right, as you will get a reflection off the water too. Then that darn reflection will hit, and come back off a real thick fog.

But I have tried all/every 12 volt light available, and they just don't get it. Plus my 90 Merc only has a 15 watt alternator. It cannot keep up. Batteries will be dead in a couple nights. Now if your just going for 1 night, that's fine.

I can not do nothing that's fun in one night, if it's fun, I'll be there several nights. TN in a week or so, 10 days at least. That goes for fishing Too. LOL

It really just depends on how you fish/ where you fish / and what your wallet will take.

:wink::wink::wink: