Night Fishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CarolinaRig, Apr 19, 2008.

1. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a Hydroglow light that I always use for Striper and Crappie. I was just wondering if anyone uses lights when Catfishing?

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Not me. Lights spook flatties.
    BB in SC

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I use some light when im fishing at night I always keep a light on my hat and my uncle usually brings a lantern, we still do good with the light, and some people dont, I guess certain things work for certain people

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I've been using one for years. I just light that front porch set up. Yeah you may spook a fish now and then, but there's to many other LITTLE things that sppok fish too. I've caught all my heavy fish while fishing a light, Catchaser as well. I use it for boat area lighting and to see most my rods, I don't place a light near the water, I don't think that's a catfishing need. I use mine to light the boat area. I like to think flatheads are like deer or any other wild animal. As long as the light is already on they walk or swim right by it, if you have it on and head toward them or turn it on while on top of them they'll bolt. Everyone has their own ideas, that's just mine. :wink:

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    I ALSO USE LIGHTS WHEN I FISH AT NITE. OVER THE YEARS I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM. IF THEY ARE GOING TO BITE I DON'T THINK IT MATTERS. THEY TEND TO MAKE ANOTHER RUN WHEN U GET THEM TO THE BOAT WHEN THEY SEE THE LIGHTS.
    THANKS FOR LETTING ME SHARE
    PEEDEE CAT

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <IF THEY ARE GOING TO BITE I DON'T THINK IT MATTERS.>

That single statement speaks VOLUMES pertaining to most any question ever asked here.

Bill in SC

7. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    The only lights that I use is the running lights on my boat and a small light that attaches to my hat. I let the bait clicks on my reels alert me of a strike.

8. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I dont ususally use a light, but back when I caught herring I used a high pressure sodium light to attract the herring and my buddies beside me usually caught some hybrid and pulled up some nice catfish as well, but I dont use the light when catfishing.

9. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    I have fished in the dark and with dim and bright lights and I can't tell any differance.

10. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Have any of you tried glow stick's on your rod's ?

11. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    we got some florescent tape from pro catfish its a boc sponsor it works really well were gonna order some more

12. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    glow sticks work really well. Take look at Glowgranny.com They got good pricing.

13. I bought abig lot of the little 2" lite sticks from ebay. l like to use a little scotch tape and tape to the end of the rod. i keep all lights off while i'm waiting for a bite and the glow sticks really show up great. just make sure you attach them opposite side of your string so not to get tangled.

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use them and really like them.

15. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    I have never tried glow sticks befor I guess I'll have to try them when I get back to the lake for some nite fishing. Thanks for the info.

16. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i use a lantern all the time when im night fishing, i dont have a problem with it spooking the fish. ive never tried using a light in the water to attract them, ive always used the running lights or a lantern

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    To answer the question about "Glow Stick's" on my rod tip - "Yes"
    On fishing with a light at night: "Yes"

What I try to do, if I know that I'm got to be doing some night fishing (from the bank) - I try to set-up while I still have some light or about "1 hour" before sunset. I also turn on my lantern "before sunset", that way the light that I'm using looks more natural & I try not to move that light all night / I also place that light in between "me & the shore line", so I don't cast a cello-ate on the water. That & my "Head Lamp" and I'm good to go.
    :wink:

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Gene (www.wildwolfproducts.com), a member AND sponsor has them cheaper, and they are very long lasting.. You'll be hard pressed to find better service than his as well ... I'd recommend picking up a couple of KatBobbers as well, very effective (I'm on the 4th year on a couple my buddies ain't swiped from me yet :big_smile:) .. He also offers BOC members discounts and specials....

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/glowstick.htm

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC! I have never used lights on my rig. I am not sure how it would work. If you use it keep us updated on the results.

20. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the heads up they do have great price. Will be giving them a try.:tounge_out: