Night Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by katcaller, Mar 6, 2008.

1. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    I am planning on doing a lot of night fishing now that I am retired. I have some abu 6500c3 will they handle the big blues and flatheads?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    an abu 6500cle should bring any blue or flathead in fine. i have two.

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Abu 6500's are good reels, I would use braided line on one instead of trying to use Super heavy mono (30lb test and up) More line capacity and easier on your reels level wind system. I have 4 of these reels and use 12-50 power pro on them, no problems.:wink:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Thats a very popular real omong catfishers. It will handle the job done.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Earl those reels will get the job done. Welcome to the BOC.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like yer set. Those reels will "git-r-done"! Now, to keep away from the house boss to get them into action!LOL

7. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Thanks Guys, I appreciate your responses. I have been here since the 4th trying to learn as much as possible before heading out this spring. I retired 10/06 and just got catfish fever this winter. I have gone whole hog, bought several 6500c3s, Ugly Stiks, sinker molds, lake charts, hundreds of hours reading all the different sites, and I have my outboard mech. putting together a SeaArk 1660 and found a new 25hp 4 cycle Merc (for $2200, bragging here), to hang on the back. If anyone sees me out and about, be sure to say "Hey!" I will have Katcaller on the side of my ride.
    I have dozens of questions I will be wanting to ask this spring. I hope you all will bare with me. I have to say with all honesty, I have found so much more HELPFUL information on this site than all the others put together. Seems to me that some of the Kat sites are just cliks, and outsiders are just tolerated.

8. etrevino050

etrevino050 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The reels u got will get the job done with no problem.

9. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    welcome earl, 6500s will do the job, where in ind are u from?

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Earl! You have made a wise investment in buying the ABU 6500. The 6500 is the reel most serious catfisherman use. Your question is, will the 6500 handle a big flathead or blue? Absolutely!! Now go catch a big one!!:big_smile::0a23:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Earl, just don't buy any more reels till you get to use them this year. If you start catching 40 lb + fish on a regular basis you may want to move up to a 7000 or 9000 ABU.
    You should look into getting Power Handels for those 6500's, They make a big difference when reeling in an oversize fish.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't own any abu's...but I would like to eventually get a good one. I am a big fan of Penn reels and own several of them. They can "get-r-done" too. They are just a bit harder to cast great distances.:crazy: