night fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Steven Armstrong, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    does any one fish at night during the summer? what kind of lights can you use that you can see by but yet won`t draw bugs?

2. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I tend to stay away from WHITE lights and stick to RED or GREEN lights to cut down the bug count. If you have a coleman, they have some RED globes you can buy for certain models also.

3. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I think God made bugs to pester fiserman, I dont thing we have a chance!!!

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I try not to use any light unless I have to do something in which case I use a soft white light. I don't keep it on long enough to attract bugs.

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I use glowsticks, bust a few open and toss one in tackle box and another where you're doing your baiting. I got a 100 pack from wild wolf and they are plenty bright enough. I tape one on the end of each rod and thats all the light I use until landing a fish.

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Steve... if you're in a boat, you are required to use an anchor lite from sunset to sunrise, no exceptions. I try to have my anchor lite as high as I can get it to move the cloud of mosquitos up and away from me. Then I will use LOTS of repellant.

When fishing from the bank, I use lightsticks on my rod tips or simply set the baitclicker to sound off. There is also the option to use a "redneck bite alarm"... just bend the poptop of an adult beverage container into a "U" shape, put a few pebbles in it, then hang it above the largest line guide. When the fish bites, the can will be thrown clear, rattling like all heLL is breaking loose, waking the soundest sleeping fisherman...

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a 12 volt combination blacklight and a white light. When the blacklight is on then the fishing line looks like a well rope and there are no bugs. The white light is temporarily turned on to rebait then I turn it off.

catman george

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    One of these days I'll join the 21st century, But I still use the old Coleman gas lantern with half the globe wrapped in tin foil.
    Set it in front of me and I have a small hole in the foil to let a little bit of light my way so as to see to bait and such.

For the most part, the bugs stay out in front of the lantern. When they don't, I still have the satisfaction of seeing hundreds of little roasted mosquito bodies in the morning!:wink::smile2:

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I don't use any light untill the fish is in the net. Then i try not to have it on that long so a bunch of bugs don't start swarming the light

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I use a blacklight like George. NEVER try to tie on a new hook with the blacklight on. You'll never get that well rope through that little hook eye.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Question for ya guys...... Is the black light only good for mono ? I only use the power pro line in green ( only color here ) and my headlamp's blue shows the best so far.

I usually use lanterns a lot, it just depends I guess. Some nights I use nothing. If the moon is out I lay low and I can see my tips pretty good or if I'm moving around I use a LED book reading light. They are small but in the black of night they will light up a tip really good. As far as bugs, I don't fish till around 10pm or so. The bugs are pretty much done with their major dusk feeding. One thing that I always have is my headlamp, I wont go with out it.

-Jim-

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    JJ - I use fluourescent line which looks like well rope under a blacklight so I doubt your line would do well under a blacklight. You would have to try it and see what happpens.

Yeppa - I never thought about sticking the well rope thru the itty bitty hook eye. I turn on the white light for that. LOL

catman george

13. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Steven
    I use a old railroad kerosene lantern doesn't draw bugs, and a 3-way head light l- reg white, 2- LED white, 3-red works great. Luck

14. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a head light like the one mentioned above with the red LED setting. The red also allows you to keep your night vision going. When I am ashore, I like the Coleman lantern up on a pole or on a tree as high as is feasible. That gets the bug up and away from me and lets me see any slithery visitors before they get too close. On a boat, since I need a light on anyway, I put the lantern on a pole out as far away from the boat as possible or up a tree near by. This feeds the fish and chums for me. The new LED lanterns provide light but don't kill the bugs.