Night Fishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by kevhead56, Jul 16, 2007.

1. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    What do you guys use to light your poles at night. Black light on white pole doesn't work, yellow tip on pole doesn't work...any suggestions?? Fish are biting on the Illinois by Kampsville. Great numbers of shad. Need HELP!!!:confused2:

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I put a couple of small car dome lights on the back of my boat I got at walmart. I also put a peace of aluminum in front of them so they don't blind you. less the $2.oo each. they work great.

3. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
  4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    The bugs aren't to bad at all. With the aluminum in front of the light the bugs mostly stay behind the boat.

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

Just something I read once. You mentioned a blacklight. Get flourescent fishing line and that black light will light that line up like no other. I also heard the bugs arent near as attracted to the black light. Good luck and let us know how it works.

6. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    I use glow sticks wire tied to the end of my poles. Lights them up all night and no problem with bugs. I get mine from Wildwolf products. ooks

7. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use glow sticks also they work great

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I use the 8 inch green glow sticks also from Wild Wolf Products (a sponsor here on the BOC) black tape them to the tip of the rod and you can see the slightest bite. No bugs and no loss of night vision.

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I bought a fish bit alarm from flea-bay awhile back...it gives a loud alarm when something hits your bait.The downside of it is that if the current is strong,it will sometimes set the alrm off.I`ve seen some that have a light on them also...i think you can turn the siren off and just have the light go on if you have a bite.You can buy them at BPS and Wallyworld.They price range is from $4-$10.Or ...like the others stated,you can use a glow stick.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Big Game, Solar Green, Line and a Black light..:wink:

11. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    seen this is a magazine havent tried it yet but the guy put to glow sticks in a milk jug and it lit up like a lantern but havent tried it to see how well does on poles i use the light braclets got 2 packs of 3 for a buck and snap 1 on pole between the 1 and 2nd eye and just wait for it to bounce just watch when you cast back out tho.

12. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sry found the magazine and the milk jug is for jug fishing but i wounder if it gives enough light for seeing tip of pole.:eek:oooh:

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    we use glow stiks at times, also have the black lite, and pick ya up a small can of fluorescent glow paint(small can at wallyworld $4), just paint from tip to first eye down and it will light up great.

14. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use the glowsticks if I want to watch my tip, but you can get you a hat light if you dont want to go the glowstick route. I usually just wait to hear the clicker so I dont pay to much attention to my rod tips.

15. wizazz

wizazz New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've always used good ol' White Spray paint on 2 foot of the ends of my poles and a Propain lantern.I tryed everything else and nuthing works better.
    You can see very well. The Bugs might bother you for awhile till like around after midnight till the Dew sets in and then they pretty much disappear.:big_smile:

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Another "trick" I used to do when I used Spincasters.. I fished them with the button pushed (loose line) and would wait for the line to run out... At nite, take a small piece of paper, foil, Styrofoam, plastic, whatever and make a small slit in it. put you line in the small slit... it will reflect the light off it, but will cause no drag on the line when you hook a fish...

Little more work after you hook something, take a small clip on bobber, clip between some eyes, pull it down so there is a U in the line... When you get a bite, it pulls the bobber up (or a hard bite will make it smack the pole :wink:) You just gotta remember to unhook it after setting the hook...

17. wizazz

wizazz New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Another Great Mothod of Alarm for Night Fishing is For Baitcasters... Just take a Pop Can ....Put your hands on each end and bend/Crush one side flat... Use the can to sit on your baitcaster... bend and fiddle with it till it will sit on the reel by itself... then all you do is take the can and put it under the Line and then sit it /prop it up on the reel... remember to keep the line loose... When you get a Hit from a Fish it will Knock off the can... This method is great when you use multiple poles so you can easilly tell which pole had the hit... :wink:

18. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I use Safety Tape on the tip of the poles with a LED head lamp with a couple of layers of red stretch wrap over the LED lights to keep the bugs away.

19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have 2 of the connectors that come with the glow sticks taped on the end of my rod. They stay there and I just change out the glow sticks when needed.

20. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the light that clips to the visor on your cap for close work like baiting and tying on hooks and in the boat I have a couple 2 foot long florescent lights that run off my boat battery. I made brackets to hang them over the side of my boat and it keeps the light out of your eyes and the bugs away from you and with your rods in rod holders the tips are in the light and you can see everything going on.
    :eek:oooh: