Night fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tomcat85, Jul 14, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    question brothers. whys it better to catfish at night? i havent tried it yet. just wondering any help would be great thanks!

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    the water cools down a lot and the cats are on the move more because they can come out of the holes and into the shallows to chase baitfish...they're kinda sleepy during the day

3. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I've always seemed to get more cats from 8:00-9:00 p.m. Guess it's just my location.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had better catfishing in the daytime many times than at night..Night seems to be better for flatheads, as they leave the cover and prowl the shallows at night in search for food.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Depends on what you are fishing for, I think that flats mainly come out at night so that they have the advantage of darkness to stalk their prey. I have caught blues channels and bullheads during the day and night. Flatheads are an ambush predator, the better they can hide the better their chances are to successfully catch a meal, like the stripes on a tiger the color pattern on the flathead is its camoflage.

Aaron

TA2D

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I want to add this..My 3 biggest flatheads, of 50-lbs, and 2 in the 40's have come during the daytime..But they all have come from deeper whater than I like to fish at night..When the fall bite is good, and the weather is turning cold I have caught flatheads during the day while it was snowing in november.

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think that alot of the way a catfish feeds depends on how the baitfish are acting, a small body such as a 5-6 inch bluegil, is going to cool down alot faster than that of a 10-15 lb cat, for the most part the fish are going to be within a degree or two of what the water is, but the difference may be enough to cause the bigguns to be a little more active.

Aaron

TA2D

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    seriously guys thanks for the help. i appreciate it!

9. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to fish at night in the summer because there is very little boats and no jet ski's and i like the peace and quite of it. I cant say I catch more at night than day. I think its about the same. i just enjoy being on the water more at night, less to look at easier to listen to the wildlife around you and you dont get sun burned, Also its allways cooler I hate sweating all day that mixed with bait slime really suxs IMO. when it gets colder i like to fish early in the morning.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i agree with you there. the whole environment of night-fishing, i feel, makes time while fishing much more invigorating - that is if you're nocturnal like me. day fishing's easier to do alone though. i guess it's all in your preferences, but fishing can be equally productive day or night.

11. Mudville

Mudville New Member

from what i've read and been told they don't like the light so during the day the go deaper and hold in their holes also. later in the evening or at night they come out to the shallows due to being less sunlight and it's time to eat.lol.

12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I do not think it makes a difference whether you fish night or day, you are just looking for different thpes of area to fish. Catfish will be biteing at both times. It is just your preferance and when you have time to fish that makes the difference.

13. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Many fish tend to run much shallower at night. Thus, are easier to catch than when they are in the deep water during the day (I am referring more to lakes than rivers though).

They are shallower for varying reasons, water temperature, no light penetration, availability of bait fish etc.

So, with all these things taken into consideration it makes sense to fish at night, even though many fish are caught in the daytime. But, for me, my most and biggest fish have always been caught at night.

14. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Everyone has posted very good reasons. And I'll say, where I mostly fish on lake wylie I almost have to fish at night. It's not impossible to catfish during the day but it's very aggrevating. There are skiers and jet skiers EVERYWHERE. That just takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. People are very inconsiderate.

15. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My best times for catfishing have been from about 7:30-11:30 at night and from 5-8 in the morning. I think they just like the cooler water temps and catfish have always been considered a nocturnal fish. They are much easier to locate at night because they come up into the shallows closer to the bank to chase baitfish.

16. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana

ID HAVE TO AGREE ON THAT!

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I have never tryed fishin at night, but with what yall are sayin, I need to start.

18. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Another thing I remember reading was that catfish are more likely to be spooked by the fear of predators during the daytime. A large bird flying over a lake during the day is likely to keep catfish holding tight and in their holes. With most animals not being active at night that fear of predators goes away at night and they are more free to roam and feed. I also agree with what everyone else is saying about the heat and the all the extra activity during the day too.

19. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    its not always that its better fishing... you can catch them when ever as long as you can find them... Its cooler out usually... there's no chance of sunburn... and there's less people out... lets see if i had the opportunity to catch fish with no other competition i would take it...

20. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I have more luck fishing at night for channels, they seem to be much more active, and i enjoy the peace and quiet.