Night fishing

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bigjimandthetwins, Jun 26, 2009.

1. bigjimandthetwins

bigjimandthetwins New Member

State:
    kentucky
    When you fishing at night and its so dark you cant see you hand in front of your face, what do you use to see you pole when drifting down the river? I've used blacklights w/solar line, hat lights, glow sticks, and even bells on the end of my rod. Maybe I should set the drag and use my bait clicker. Just looking for some advice from some old pros out there. I guess if I catch what I'm looking for I wont need a light, the boat will just jerk so hard there will be no doubt.:smile2:

2. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    try a couple lanterns

3. bigjimandthetwins

State:
    kentucky
    Lanterns are not practical on a boat. You'd have every mosquito,bat and moth within a 2 mile raidus on my 16ft boat. Also you couldnt see where you were going. Get on the darkest country road you know and turn off your headlights, now light the lantern inside the car. Betcha dont get very far without hitting something.

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I tell ya what,,Paul ( the founder of BOC) has some LED lights mounted along the insides of his boat that look real good..He said it lights up like a Christmas tree..:cool2:

maybe he can give ya some pointers.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd just use a glow stick. Don't know what kind of problems you've had with them but they work great for me and everybody I've ever catfished with. I certainly have no complaints with them. Also, try the really big ones you can get from the dollar store. They are sold as bracelets or necklaces but they are super cheap (you get about 10 for the price of one "fishing" glow stick) and much easier to see.

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I used a 12 volt LED rope light under the top rail (pontoon boat). It lights up the floor real good, and since its under the rail it doesn't shine up in your eyes, lets you keep your night vision. The anchor light, and a cap light, is the only others I use.

7. bigjimandthetwins

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah, Im going back and forth on LED and blacklights. Dont wanna spend alotta money and wish I had the other. Not to mention wiring the dang thing. I'm kinda leaning toward the blacklight. MAN that solar green line looks like rope with a blacklight! I'm open for all ideas. Wish I could post a pic of my boat.

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Red head lamp and some glowsticks zip tied to your rod tips!:wink:

9. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use small 8 inch long glow sticks on the end of my rods, and citrenalla candles inside a white 5 gal. bucket.

10. bigjimandthetwins

State:
    kentucky
    We got some of those glow sticks on order. I like the candle idea.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use a black light at each end of the boat. With the solar green or any flouresent line the line looks like a rope running through the eyes on the rod. They have worked for me for years. Was introduced to black lights by a friend 20 odd years ago and been using them since.
    I keep them low in the boat so they don't show on the water.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i like the black lights and i use some slip floats. the big ones like at the pay lakes. i use electrical tape and attach a glow stick to it even when fishing the bottom it works really well. just me though good luck.

13. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I like to use the bait clicker. It works as a good alarm clock too if you nod off:smile2:

14. m27dumbell

m27dumbell New Member

State:
    Erlanger, KY
    bait clicker for one, head lamp for two and the last is 3m diamond reflective tape wrapped couple inches around rod tip. you look at rod tip and reflects brillaintly and its longer lasting than glow sticks.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    If you go with the black light,,Go to Michaels craft store, get some transparent florescent paint they sell for air brush guns,,paint the rod tip down past your second guide and let dry. You will never see it until the lights on. You'll have a set of laser tipped rods that will throw a trail of light on every cast. and look like torchs when in holders.:big_smile:

Warning , do not drink or smoke while fishing with these at night the trails get ya leaning to far forward on the cast, you might go over board.:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    They make red and amber globes for lanterns.

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What about the fancy bite alarm deals ? I've seen them on video's just an ideal . Circle hooks help if you are a little slow getting to it.

18. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i just listen for the rod to pop... when it does then you know theres one hammerin on it... also on my anchor light i put a piece of black electric tape on the front side of the light the side facing the front ... that keeps you from getting a headache and still lights up the back where my rods are ... and for other rail lighting you can do the same on the top of them while running them

19. HillBillyFiveO

HillBillyFiveO New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like the paint from Michaels, idea. Also the citronella candle idea. Thanks gentlemen!

Floyd T.