night fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mark29860, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    now that its hot I am gonna try and rig my boat for night fishing is it best to use 12v lights and carry a couple extra batteries or use a generator. I've yet to find a quiet generator. Thanks

2. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Invest in some of those 8" glow sticks they sell at wildwolfproducts.com and you wont need much light at all. I went to lowes and bought just about the smallest O-Rings they had in the plumbling section and put 2 on the end of each of my fishing rods. Slide one of those glow sticks on the rod tips and you will be set. Only time I cut on the lights is to net the fish and bait the hooks and I never run a battery dead yet in one night. Using this method also keeps the bugs away for the most part.

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Yeap! Wild Wolf Products Glow sticks and O rings.:wink:

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Try some LED lights on your boat and glow sticks work great on your rods.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a 40 inch, 60 light blue LED strip rigged to shine on my rods, but NOT in my eyes. Lights 'em up GREAT and have seen no adverse reaction to the fish bite. Heck with the glow sticks. Too much trouble to rig those up each night of fishin'. All I do is flip a toggle switch at night and the LEDS do the rest. They use such a small amount of energy, I could probably run them non stop for a week on one battery charge. If you need info on where to get the best deal on them, PM me and I'll send you to the right place.

Bill in SC

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You can also go to wal-mart and buy a work light with the dome reflector, cut the ends off and add alligator clamps. Go to any parts store and pick a couple of 12 volt light bulbs and you are in business. I clamp mine on my pontoon top frame and it lights up the whole boat and you can run it for three nights on a deep cycle batt. Cost you less than 20 bucks for the whole thing including the bulbs. I clamp mine up next to my anchor light where its high enough to keep the glare off as well as behind me.

7. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with Foxhound. Thats what I do. My son has a generator,
    WAY to much noise for me!! :angry:

8. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Another idea is the 12v fluorescent.You can get one,make a bracket to put it on a painters pole to run it 8 to 10 feet in the air.They use very little power.I saw a guy with one of the "starefire Q beams" submersibles on a pole too.It had his boat lit up,only thing is they get real hot and the directions say only turn on UNDER water.His seemed to be working well though.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've tried several variations of lighting for night fishing and the one I like the most is to clip on of those small LED lights to my hat. That way I always see what I'm doing, whether watching rods, baiting, or netting fish. I also doesn't put out too much light and the battery lasts a long time. The one I use takes a AAA battery instead of those oddball batteries, and I keep a couple extra in the tackle box. Of course we have regular flashlights that are very bright as well in case we need them.

As for generators, for one to be quiet you're probably going to look at Honda. I've heard several guys talk about using them on the boat for night fishing and bowfishing at night because they are the only ones quiet enough. They are expensive though, but everyone I know that has one say they are well worth the money. Apparently they use less fuel than others as well, so they should pay for themselves.

10. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Also, looks like a lot of guys are going LED. I plan to add a set to my toon later this year, but for now, the 12VDC 50Watt RV light seems to do the trick. I DOES attrack more bugs than say a blue or green LED stick. I have mounted the RV light on a 8 ft PVC pipe which helps the bugs stay out of my mouth. :smile2:
    I found this site useful and priced right.
    http://bluewaterled.com/

11. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Ive got LED lights from the above link all around my boat. Ive got green lights under the lip over the water, and red lights inside the boat. We use the green for landing fish and keep the red on for seeing the rods and baiting up. I still keep a 12v flouresent light on a painters pole to see for setting up, rerigging, and landing if needed. I recomend BLUEWATER LED. Mike has a great product and is priced right. The set I got runs @$150 and I have 3 strips left that Im not sure where to put them.

www.bluewaterled.com

12. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We fish almost exclusively at night and there is no such thing as too many lighting options. What works best for me is to have as many different types of light as I can afford and carry without having them get in the way. It's a lot like layering clothes, it's better to be hot and take them off than to be cold and not have a coat.

My boat is equiped with;
    1) LED courtesy/cockpit lights (hardwired)
    2) three 12" flourescents - these are mobile but typically placed at front deck/CC/transom.
    3) one 4' hydrolight.
    4) two 12volt Qbeams - front and rear.
    5) one small rechargeable spot - kept on dash
    6) two 3watt mag lights - in top shelf at front-right and rear-left.
    7) LED head lamps.

A lot of this boils down to convenience. None of these run all the time but all are typically used through the course of a night and so far this season we seem to be doing better with the lights on than off. My current boat is a 20' long CC and has storage shelves running down both sides so keeping things out of the way is not and issue. Having a light in easy reach is. The console and passengers cast lots of shadows so light is at a premium. I've had a 16' fish and ski in which the running lights,a Qbeam, and a flashlight on the dash was plenty. I've also had a pontoon. On it I liked a shop light or lantern flown high over the deck so that you didn't have to use your hands.

I have thought of getting a generator but I don't like the noise and so far have been able to handle all my lighting needs with 12volt batteries. I also find anything rechargable to be a plus. The only way I could see adding a generator to my set up would be if I wanted to add halogen flood lights for bowfishing or deep water fishing. As far as powering my current set up 12 volt batteries work fine. If we're camping I also carry a couple of cheap aluminum clamp on shop lights with yellow CFL bulbs in them and a rechargeable power box with a converter built in. They're cool, don't draw bugs, and will last all weekend if switched off when not in use. These are a lot more stable than the old gas lanterns we used to carry.

13. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    GReat link. What kind of boat do you have? I'd love to see pics of this setup. The green lights under the outside lip is something I've been interested to but I'm interested about the wiring.

14. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    appreciate all the info fellas

15. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Check out superbrightleds.com they have a ton of cool products that wont kill your battery.

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Ive got a SeaPro Skiff. Pics havnt come out good showing the lights. Ive done alot of 12v wiring on cars and boats, so it wasnt that hard for me. I had it all done in 2 evenings of work. The lights under the lip work good for crappie fishing also as they draw alot of bait when left on. Here is about the best pic I can get untill someone else takes one on the water for me.

Attached Files:

17. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's awesome/ I really may need to look into some of those.

18. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina

The LED head lamps really do work well if it's just one or two people in the boat. They do a great job lighting up whatever you're looking at. The problem we've noticed with them is once you get a crowd you spend too much time blinding each other. If you're the type that faces people when they talk to you the lights are always shining in each others eyes.:wink:

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I Use 2 Optronics green LED lights and it lights up my entire 21 ft CC.No bugs either.I mounted it to a 24'antenae extentsion from the top of my Console.Best light I have used.:big_smile:

20. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Where do you get these. Would they work for half of the front nav light. I been wanting to go LED on nav lights. I can find lots of red, but green are rare.