Night fishing with glow sticks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by yotepeeler, May 31, 2007.

1. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My new wife is a glow stick person , myself I hold my pole . Those trips to get glow sticks got old or were forgotten . I have rigged an LED to her poles for now . Does anyone know if such a rig is marketed ? So far it is doing well and got 3 nights out of a pair of hearing aid batteries and still going strong .

2. jcara3043

jcara3043 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Walmart carries a few products 2 types of glow stick that attach to your pole (5.00) and it has 3 mini lights as replaacements and one that has and LED and noise detector (9.00)
    The other are 2 bells on a clip that attches to the pole......
    good lick and i hope you find what you need........

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    U MIGHT TRY ONE OF THOSE POLES WHERE U LIGHT UP THE END W/A LIGHT & IT GLOWS IN THE DARK FOR A WHILE PRETTY COOL

4. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only saw one deal that used an LED and it was like a small box the fit on the tip of the rod . I didn't want to change the action of the rod so I decided to do it the way I did . So far no big fish yet but hope to torture test it soon :big_smile:

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Pete you need to get in touch with one of our Sponsors here on the B.O.C. It's Wild Wolf Products,his name is Gene,Super Fella. He sells Glow sticks Big one's in packages of 100 for like 10.00 bucks ,My favorite are the Green ones will burn ALL Night.just go to the top of the page and click on sponcers and Bingo there You have it. You won't regret it!!!!! J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

6. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Pete.Id Like to see this LED set up you made,Iv thought about rigging up some kind of a LED set up for my rods but never have.

7. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have some minny slide switches on the way along with a new style lithium battery . The one now is kind of crude but functions well . I am going to try to find some heat shrink tube that will fit over the end eyelet to fasten the LED with . They are just taped on right now and use Radio Shack 28 ga wire . About the size of a human hair . I will try to get a picture to post tonight .

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Id like to see a pic of that also.

9. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
  10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I'm with J.D. on the glow stick that Gene sells. I know that they will last all night.Showed one to the neighbor last night about 5:30 and it was still glowing this morning at 7:00.
    he sell them in packages of 100 for a very reasonable price. Why not help out one of our great sponsors and also a great member.Just my humble opinion.
    Would like to see your idea though.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I 3rd the motion! They cost $.10 apiece and last all night. I don't know how much hearing aid batteries cost but...:eek:oooh:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I 4rth the motion. I use slip bobbers at night and have to have glow sticks...I haven't had the pleasure of getting any of his products but someday i'll be able to...:roll_eyes::wink::confused2::lol:

13. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got my batteries in and slide switches . Now I am all set . The new batteries are a big improvment as they should last the whole season . All I have to do now if I stay late is slide the switch to ON . Final price per pole for me is $3.50 :eek:oooh:

Drifter

14. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Thanks! Nice pics.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Wildwolf products did market a LED lite that went on the end of your rod. Not sure Gene still has them. but I bet you can check with him and see.
    Pete

16. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    bass pro shops makes an led bite alarm you just pin the line under the ticker and when it starts to get tugged on nice and hard like the silent red flashing alarm goes off i like them a lot more then using glow sticks

17. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    On the green glow sticks from Wolf Products, I use them and I wouldn't say they burned all night, I would say they burn all night and into the next day. I use black electricians tape and tape the top of the glow stick just below the tip eyelet on my rods and tape the other end of the glow stick back where ever it ends up. bends with the rod and never gets tangled with my line. Brother in law made fun of me and used his little rubber rod tip holder and the little short sticks from Wally world and was asking me for a big one and tape after a bit. I do like the idea of the LED but it looks like you have the wire running the entire length of the rod on the outside and that would spell nothing but trouble for me. Can you get the wire inside the rod? Good idea but with glow sticks so easy and cheap why change? Good luck!

18. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    Those battery operated berkley catfish rod's like nice. But I have yet to use one I think the whole rod light's up like a light sabre. lol

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Pete, where and what kind of switches are you using? I have been thinking of a system like that. A switch and an led near the base. Then a fiber optic cable along the spine, with the last 2 inches at the tip exposed. So it would look like one of those pins on a compound bow or a gunsite. I don't need "bright" just visable, I use the glow sticks right now, but they are a pain. I just want to flip a switch a voila lol.

20. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I used the wal-mart brand last year and this year. Had no problems with the clip-on holder. Only had 1 clip type in the pack and it casted alright and didn`t seem to hurt action.